A recipe for a casserole with smoked mackerel, zucchini and mashed potatoes. Surprisingly and delicious. Try it yourself!
When I buy a smoked mackerel, I often make a salad for a toast. Or I eat it for lunch with some lettuce, cucumber and paprika. A delicious combination, though, did you know that you can also make this delicious casserole?
Add some flavor!
A casserole? I see you thinking, yes you can! And a very delicious one too. In this recipe you'll mix the smoked mackerel with Oriental herbs like ginger, garlic and some madras curry spices. Herbs that you might not expect that combine great with smoked mackerel, but which indeed combines deliciously with this salty fish. Then add zucchini and some raisins, a sweet accent, which is a delicious counterpart of the salty flavor.
Coconut milk instead of ordinary milk is added too smoothen the mashed potatoes which makes the perfect topping fort this fishy casserole. And when baking and taking it out of the oven, you can smell the scents of this delicious oven dish. Really a top recipe.
Is zucchini good for you?
In addition to being a delicious vegetable, zucchini is also a very healthy vegetable that is rich in vitamins, minerals and fiber. It is also a low calorie vegetable.
You can peel zucchini, but because the skin is soft and thin, this is not necessary.You can eat zucchini raw, cooked or baked.
And as always, too much zucchini isn't good for you. So alternate the vegetables with other ingredients.
Mackerel, a healthy flavor
Instead of tuna, which is better known as an ingredient, I opted for smoked mackerel here. It is a tasty fatty fish (just like tuna), but is less prone to overfishing.
Furthermore, the smoked flavor gives a delicious deep flavor to this oven dish. Mackerel is also rich in omega-3 fatty acids. The advice of the nutrition center is to eat fish at least once a week and preferably a fish rich in fatty acids.
- A disadvantage for smoked mackerel is that it contains bones. So you have to fillet it well in advance. To avoid this, use canned tuna or salmon.
- If you want more spice, add some sriracha to the potato puree.
- Coconut milk gives an Oriental touch to the oven dish. If you don't like this, use milk or, if you want to stay lactose-free, soy milk in the same amount.
- Do you like spicy? Replace the mild curry with a spicy curry spice mix.
- You can also replace raisins with currants or strips of dates (for a very special taste).
- If children eat this casserole, replace the smoked mackerel with tuna. Smoked mackerel can contain bones. So be very careful when eating.
- Puree the potatoes with a masher or squeezer. Don't use a mixer, because then it will look like glue.
- Heat the coconut milk before adding it to the puree. This will make the puree lighter.
- Soaking the raisins in hot water for 10 minutes will make them juicy and give them even more flavor.
- Peel the potatoes.
- Grate the ginger
- Squeeze the garlic.
- Pull the mackerel apart, removing the bones you find. It is a very precise job so take your time for it.
- Wash the zucchini and cut into small cubes of 1 x 1 cm.
- Soak the raisins in hot water for 10 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 380 degrees Fahrenheit (180 degrees Celsius) and brush a casserole with oil.
- Instead of coconut milk, use semi-skimmed milk.
- Instead of smoked mackerel, use canned tuna.
- Buy a bulk pack of potatoes and use it to prepare a number of recipes for the next 2 weeks. Consider, for example, the creamy asparagus potato casserole, a delicious potato gratin or Roast potatoes with garlic and thyme. And of course you buy them unpeeled.
- Get curry and other oriental spices from the Oriental food store. It is usually much cheaper there.
- If you have leftover casserole, cool it down quickly to room temperature. Cover the leftovers airtight. You can then keep it for 2 days in the refrigerator or up to 2 months in the freezer. Reheat covered with aluminium foil for 20 minutes in the oven at 400 degrees Fahrenheit (220 degrees Celsius).
- If you have leftover potatoes, take a look at the budget-friendly tips for inspiration.
- Mackerel has a short shelf life. If you still have mackerel, you can use it in: kale, mackerel and Parmesan cheese quiche, Penne with smoked mackerel and herb cheese or a fish burger with smoked mackerel.
🥘 Other delicious recipes
- Salmon smoked with tea and a potato latke. An elegant recipe.
- Really delicious sauerkraut casserole, a delicious winter recipe.
- Grilled salmon and zucchini with a feta dressing. A tasty BBQ recipe.
- Classic Rump pot roast, a delicious oven dish.
Casserole with smoked mackerel, zucchini and mashed potatoes
- 2 pounds potatoes floury
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 inch ginger fresh
- 2 cloves garlic
- 4 ounces smoked mackerel
- 2 zucchini
- 1 tablespoon madras curry mild
- 4 tablespoons raisins
- salt and pepper to taste
- Peel the pototo. Cut them in 4 equal pieces when the potatoes are big. Halve the middle potatoes. That way all the potatoes got an equal size and will be done at the same time.
- Remove the ginger peel and grate the ginger.
- Remove the skin from the garlic and squeeze it.
- Pull the mackerel apart, removing bones when you find them. It's a very precise job so take your time.
- Wash the zucchini. Remove the top and bottom and slice in small cubes of ½ x ½ inch (1 x 1 cm).
- Soak the raisins for 10 minutes in hot water.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit (180 degrees Celsius) and grease an oven dish.
- Boil the potatoes for 20 minutes. Check if they're done by pinching a fork into a potato. The fork has to slide in (otherwise extend the cooking time with 2 minutes).
- Drain the potatoes and mash them.
- Heat the coconut milk and stir it through the mashed potatoes.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- In a frying pan heat the oil.
- Add the zucchini cubes, ginger, garlic, curry, raisins and pepper and salt to taste and stir-fry for 3 minutes.
- Turn the heat off and mix the mackerel through the zucchini mixture.
- Spread the mackerel mixture on the bottom of the oven dish.
- Top with the mashed potatoes.
- Put the casserole in the oven and bake for 15 minutes.