Sometimes you want a simple recipe and this easy onion soup has only 6 ingredients and is quick, easy and delicious. A soup that you make in a wink if you have an unexpected visitor.
This easy onion soup with only 6 ingredients is a slightly sweet soup that is great as a delicious lunch or evening meal. You put it on the table within 20 minutes. And do you know what gives it even more flavor? Cut some French bread into thick slices, put them in the soup and sprinkle the baguette with grated cheese. Put that under the broiler for a few minutes until the cheese has melted and you have a delicious meal.
And do you prefer a traditional French onion soup? You can find that recipe via this link.
What's the difference between onion soup and French onion soup?
While there are many similarities between onion soup and French onion soup, the main difference are the ingredients. With a French onion soup you start with yellow onions and beef stock.
With the non-French version you can vary in the types of onion and stock. In this recipe, for example, vegetable stock is used with which you get a vegetarian soup. You can also opt for a chicken broth, but then this version won't be vegetarian anymore.
This easy onion soup contains only 6 ingredients. Optionally, you can serve it with slices of baguette topped with grated cheese.
How do you prepare this easy onion soup?
Step 1: Cut the onions into rings and chop the garlic fine. Melt the butter over low heat and add the onion rings. Cook for 3 minutes until the onions are translucent. Then add the garlic and fry for 30 seconds. Frying the onions and garlic gives them more flavor.
Step 2: Pour the vegetable stock and Worcestershire sauce with the onions. Also add the thyme. Bring to a boil and simmer for 15 minutes. Taste and season with salt and pepper (if necessary).
Step 3: Cut the baguette into thick slices and sprinkle with the grated cheese. Cut the baguette diagonally so that the slices look even better.
Step 4: Place the slices of baguette on top of the soup and slide it under the grill for 3 minutes, so that the cheese melts. Serve immediately and beware it is burning hot!
🥘 Other delicious recipes
Easy onion soup with only 6 ingredients
Pas met de knoppen het aantal personen aan.
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3 onions
- 1 clove garlic
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 2 ounces cheese grated
- Slice the onion in rings and chop the garlic fine.
- Grate the cheese (optional)
Easy onion soup
- Melt the butter in a pan on low heat.
- Bake the onion until they are translucentin 3 minutes.
- Add the garlic and stir-fry for 30 seconds.
- Pour the stock and Worcestershire sauce with the onions.
- Sprinkle with thyme.
- Bring to the boil and let it simmer for 15 minutes.
- Taste, and if necessary, at some salt and pepper at taste.
- Preheat the broiler.
- Cut the baguette in thin slices.
- Top the baguette slices with grated cheese.
- Pour the soup in an ovenproof bowl and top with the baguette slices.
- Let the cheese melt in about 3 minutes under the broiler.