This cocktail is very special: savory and spicy and has a light green color. Stuffed tomato is a great combination with the basil martini.
Every week I try to also add a drink in the weekly theme. And this week, in the cheese week, it had to be a cocktail with cheese. And it was not easy. Drinks with cheese are not my specialty. I could even imagine how it should suppose to be. So after some surfing on the Internet, I came across this recipe: basil martini with blue cheese stuffed tomato (original recipe from Cooking Light can be found here). The accompanying photo was very nice (always a bonus point) and quite frankly it’s a special recipe, but when I read it I immediately got the wow factor. I mean, tomatoes and basil is a very known combination and the blue cheese is a great combination.
So my cocktail shaker was drawn out of the closet, in the herb garden I harvested the last basil for this year, add a bit of ice and just shake. Tom Cruise in the movie Cocktail couldn’t have done it better. filling the tomato insert on the edge of the glass and take a 15 minutes break (yes that too is part of it). While sipping this cocktail and enjoying my break, I got some pictures in my mind of Italy. Though I had to get the warmth of the heater instead of the sun, I thought it was all in all very tasty and warming.
So if you’re going to make cocktails: certainly take this one in mind: Unique and very tasty!
Tips make cocktails:
- Use crushed ice, so that the drink is cold, dilute, but not that you have ice cubes in your glass. If you use ice cubes put the sieve on the shaker, so they will stay inside.
- Because you crush the basil, a lot of flavor is released.
- To create the hole in the tomato I used a needle. You can also use a knitting needle.
Preparing make cocktails:
In the morning:
- Fill the tomatoes, store them in a sealed container in the refrigerator until use.
Storage advice make cocktails:
- This cocktail is simply the best when you drink it fresh. Don’t save anything!
Basil martini with danish blue cocktail
This post is also available in: Dutch