Cherry cake with pudding
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius
- Grease the spring form (diameter 26 cm) with butter and sprinkle with flour. Take the acces flour out. Put baking paper on the bottom of the tin.
- Put the milk with the vanilla extract in a pan and boil on low heat.
- Meanwhile, beat the egg yolks in a bowl until they are light yellow and frothy.
- Mix the maizena through the egg yolks with sugar.
- Sprinkle the hot milk into a thin dribble into the bowl with egg yolks (do not pour the milk too fast or you’ll get lumps) while stirring with a whisk.
- Then pour everything back into the pan and cook again on low heat. Keep stirring with a whisk.
- Let it simmer on low heat as you keep stirring, until you can dip a wooden spoon into the cream and draw a line with your finger in the pudding layer and the line won’t immediately flush. That will take about 2-3 minutes.
- Pour the cream into a bowl, press a plastic foil on top (so you do not get a sheet) and put in a bowl of cold water so that it cools down quickly.
- Let the cherries leak out, but catch the juice.
- Put the cherries in a pan and measure 50 ml of cherry juice.
- Mix the cold cherry juice with the maizena and pour it with the cherries.
- Put on low heat and bring to the boil while stirring gently (otherwise the cherries will break). Cook for 1 minute on low heat.
- Put the pan with cherries in a cold bowl of water.
- ix in a bowl the flour with the baking powder.
- Mix in another bowl the butter, oil and sugar for about 3 minutes until it is airy.
- Add the vanilla extract and the eggs while mixing. Do not add the next egg until the first one is incorporated.
- Put the mixer on low speed and add 1/3 of the flour mixture, then half the milk, 1/3 flour mixture, remaining milk and the rest of the flour. Turn off the mixer when the flour is mixed.
- Spoon the cake batter into the spring form.
- Put the pudding in a piping bag and spread bubbles of cream in the batter (in different places).
- Spoon the cherries across the batter. Try to divide as much as possible.
- Sprinkle with almond shavings.
- Put in the oven and bake for 40 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and leave for 5 minutes. Take the cake out of the spring form and let it cool on a wire rack.
- Store the cake until use in the refrigerator.
This post is also available in: Dutch