- Mince the garlic cloves.
- Slice the spring onions into small strips.
- In a bowl mix about 2 cloves of minced garlic, 2/3 of the sliced spring onion, egg, breadcrumbs, salt, ground ginger, sesame oil and sweet chilli sauce.
- Knead until well mixed, but not too long otherwise the meat becomes firm.
- Heat the olive oil in a pan.
- Roll balls of minced meat and fry quickly so it browns on all sides in oil (they don’t need to be done).
- In a saucepan, mix the ingredients for the sauce: water, sake, the remaining garlic cloves, brown sugar and sesame oil, and bring slowly to a boil.
- Mix the cornstarch with a little water and pour it into the sauce. Let it boil for 1 minute until it thickens slightly and then turn off the heat.
- Pour the sauce on top of the meatballs, cover the pan and let the meatballs simmer for 20 to 25 minutes in the sauce.
- (look sometimes and if necessary add some water if the sauce thickens too much.)
- Serve the meatballs with the remaining scallions.
This post is also available in: Dutch