When you give a baby shower, you certainly want to eat something delicious with it! It’s an idea to make this baby shower cake roll. It’s easy and quick to bake. Good luck!
Baby showers, a new phenomenon? At least for me they are. When I had children myself, it never actually happened. But now everyone who is pregnant seems to give (or get) a baby shower.
I also see that in our photo studio, where the pregnant women are treated to a beautiful photo shoot. A beautiful pregnancy photo, New Born or a Baby First Year, super nice of course to get that, such a personal gift.
Something sweet at the baby
But with all that partying, of course, there should also be something delicious to eat. And this month at the food blog swap, the blog of Lianne, called the Zoetekauw (dutch blog), was assigned to me. And I can tell you that it was a real party. Full of sweet recipes (I will certainly visit this blog much more often).
And when I was viewing her blog I came across this baby shower cake roll. One that fits perfectly with a baby shower party. And so this was chosen!
It’s a good taste!
Recipe Baby shower cake
Baby shower cake roll
- 3 eggs size L
- 5 tablespoons sugar 75 grams
- 8 tablespoons flour 80 grams
- 1½ tablespoon cornflour
- 8 grams vanilla sugar
Filling and topping
- 400 ml cream
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 60 grams strawberry jam
- 100 gram sprinkles of course you choose the color yourself
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- Use a baking tin of approximately 25 x 38 cm and line it with baking paper.
- Split the eggs. Make sure that no egg yolk is added to the egg white (the other way around is less bad).
- Put the egg whites in a bowl that you have cleaned with hot water and some washing-up liquid (also clean the mixing hooks). This makes the bowl fat-free and your egg whites stiffen well.
- Add 3 tablespoons of sugar to the egg whites and mix until stiff. It's sufficiently beaten if you can hold the bowl upside down (yes really ;-)) and the egg whites remain in the bowl.
- In a second bowl, mix the egg yolk with the remaining sugar until it is light yellow in color.
- Carefully mix the egg yolk with a spatula through the egg whites until well blended.
- Place a sieve above the bowl and sieve the flour and cornflour above the batter.
- Also mix it gently with a spatula until it is just mixed.
- Spread the batter on the baking paper and smooth out the top.
- Bake the cake in the oven for 15 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and make a roll. Allow the cake to cool completely to room temperature.
Filling and topping
- In a bowl, mix the cream with the sugar.
- Beat until the cream is stiff.
- Carefully roll out the cake roll and cover with a layer of strawberry jam.
- Divide ⅔ of the whipped cream over the strawberry jam and smooth it with a pallet knife (or the back of a spoon).
- Spread some sprinkles on top.
- Remove the baking paper from the cake and roll it up and let it set in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Brush the outside of the cake roll with whipped cream and sprinkle with more sprinkles.
- Let it set in the fridge for at least half an hour.
What did I use to prepare this
Kitchen utensils I’ve used to prepare this recipe. When you follow the link you will go to another page with a short explanation of each item. It’s also possible to order directly if you’re in need.
- a good pair of knives
- cutting board
- Brushes, spatulas and other cooking utensils
- Sheet pan, baking tray or baking sheet
- Baking paper or baking mat
This post is also available in: Dutch