A delicious accompaniment to the bbq this couscous salad with chives and cucumber. A fresh salad with the dressing of yogurt. Serve cold.
A delicious side dish to each bbq is this couscous salad with chives and cucumber. A fresh salad with a dressing of yogurt. And by using Greek yogurt you get a delicious creamy salad. Where you finish the yogurt dressing with a touch of extra freshness by adding a splash of lemon.
A salad with
Maybe you don’t know couscous or you don’t use it often (or only in warm dishes). But couscous is a very popular dish from North Africa. It is made from durum wheat, which is coarsely ground. And if we put the couscous in a bowl and pour hot water, some oil and salt on top and let it swell, it becomes dne. But did you know that the traditional preparation of couscous involves steaming couscous in a special pan. With vegetables added for extra flavor. It takes some time before it’s ready, though.
I don’t make it that way, I just let the the couscous well in hot water, although I definitely hope that someday I be able to taste the traditional production method, or make it myself that way.
But back to today: I went for a cold couscous that I, as I served at the barbecue. Often I make one good meat, vegetarian or fish dish (sometimes two) and I serve as a side dish fresh fruits, vegetables, breads and a salad or two. A green salad and a couscous, pasta or rice salad. And of course garlic butter, which always must be present.
It’s a good taste!
Recipe Couscous salad with chives and
Couscous salad with chives and cucumber
- 250 ml vegetable stock
- 200 grams couscous
- 1 tablespoon butter room temperature
- ½ cucumber
- 5 stalks chives
- 100 ml Greek yoghurt
- ½ lemon juice
- chive flowers Optional garnish:
- Pour the vegetable stock (if necessary with a pinch of salt for extra flavointo the pan and bring to the boil.
- Remove from heat and pour the couscous in.
- Stir immediately and place the lid on the pan.
- Let swell 5 minutes.
- Stir the butter into the couscous and allow to cool to room temperature.
- Peel the cucumber, halve and scrape out the seeds with a spoon.
- Cut the cucumber into cubes.
- Chop the chives.
- Add the cucumber, chive, yogurt and lemon to the cooled couscous and stir until everything is blended.
- Optional: Sprinkle some chives flowers to garnish on top.
This post is also available in: Dutch