A tasty, simple casserole with an Italian twist: an Italian oven dish with lemon, tomato and arugula.
Italian casserole, an easy
First you make a delicious marinade of Italian herbs, some garlic and olive oil. And then marinate the chicken quickly with it. Add a delicious portion of vegetables and spread your baguette with herb butter on the baking sheet. Pour the rest of the marinade over the baking dish and slide it into the oven. After 30 minutes you take the plate out and… you can serve a delicious meal, which you further season with peppery arugula.
You hear it everywhere, and it’s super important: eating enough vegetables. There are quite a few vegetables hidden in this oven dish. And I also like to serve a delicious salad as a side. There is some meat in it, but as you are used to at this blog, the portion is small.
In this recipe I use tasty Roma tomatoes, a typical Italian vegetable. The herbs from the Italian kitchen combine wonderfully with the tomatoes. Rosemary, thyme and sage are all herbs that gives a great pairing in flavours. The same applies to the onion and lemon.
For some extra taste I have added strips of sun-dried tomato. It has a fleshy structure and is just a bit stronger in taste than the stewed tomatoes, which gives it a lovely touch.
The added baguette absorbs almost all the juices that are released and gives a taste explosion in your mouth.
It’s a good taste!
Recipe: Italian chicken casserole with tomatoes, arugula and
Italian chicken casserole with tomato, lemon and arugula
- 1 handful Italian herbs fresh
- 1 clove garlic finely chopped
- 5 tablespoons extra virgin oil
- 3 chicken breast
- 1 red onion
- 6 tomatoes Roma is very tasty with this recipe
- 1 lemon
- 3 sun-dried tomatoes
- 1 baguette with herb butter
- 85 grams arugula
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees Celsius.
- Finely chop the Italian herbs (first remove the stems if they are still attached).
- Mix the Italian herbs with the garlic and olive oil.
- Halve the chicken breast and mix them in the marinade.
- Place the chicken fillets on the baking sheet.
- Cut the onion into rings, the tomatoes into quarters, the lemon into eights and the sun-dried tomatoes into strips.
- Spread the vegetables around the chicken fillets.
- Break the baguette into pieces and place it on the vegetables and chicken.
- Sprinkle the remaining marinade over the oven dish.
- Slide the baking tray into the oven and bake the casserole for 30 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and mix the arugula with the chicken and vegetables.
- Taste and season with salt and pepper.
This post is also available in: Dutch