Rhubarb ice tea, a delicious ice tea for warm days. Tasty and very refreshing.
When it gets hot, I make a fancy ice-cold can of iced tea. Orange iced tea, orange and lemon iced tea or lime rose ice tea with fresh raspberries they all taste delicious and I exchange between them on a regular basis. But now I’ve discovered a new iced tea: rhubarb ice tea. With the refreshing rhubarb, some white tea and honey it becomes a delicious drink. And a beautiful color, that immediately make me fell in love with it. I always cut some lemon slices in and pick some mint from the herb garden and add it into the iced tea. For even a better summer effect.
Rhubarb a spring
It is a pity that you can only buy rhubarb for such a short time. After the longest day you can’t cut any stems anymore from the plant. Then the plant is at rest to build up strength for the new season. I always freeze in, so that I can still make this ice tea. It’s a gorgeous thing to grow a rhubarb plant in your garden, because you have very little maintenance and lots of revenue!
These ice tea I made for the kid party of Coen, my youngest son. He turned 8 and we had a real pool party in the garden (one of the two summer days in the preseason) and there was of course a summer drink involved. I made a strawberry lemonade (which I will later post) and the rhubarb iced tea. Coen was very fond of it, and he likes it really a lot (not all the kids at the party thought it was as good as him). And I enjoyed drinking the ice tea with him. It was a very successful party.
It’s a good taste!
Rhubarb ice tea
- 2 bags white tea or 2 teaspoons of white tea leaves
- 6 stalks rhubarb
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- honey to taste
- Take 1 liter of water and bring to a boil.
- Turn off the heat and add the two bags of white tea to the water and let them sit for 5 minutes.
- Remove the bags.
- Wash the rhubarb and cut it into pieces of 2 cm.
- Put the rhubarb in the tea and add 750 ml of water and 1 teaspoon vanilla extract.
- Bring the tea to a boil, reduce heat to low, and simmer for 1 hour.Strain the tea and fill up to 1500 ml with water (if necessary).
- Allow to cool.
- Flavor to taste with honey (TIP: test the flavor of the ice tea when it's cold, because the same amount of sweet tastes different in a warm tea and in cold ice tea)
This post is also available in: Dutch