Serve with Christmas: this recipe for a rich tomato soup as a starter. Not with extra vegetables, but purely with tomatoes.
A very nice dish for Christmas: rich and tasteful tomato soup, from tomatoes combined with basil. Best served in a (vintage) teacup, so the soup won’t be all you can eat during your Christmas dish.
- you want a smooth soup, you first want to peel of the skin of the tomatoes. Boil water on the fire and set a container with water and ice cubes ready. Using a sharp knife make a cross in the bottom of the tomato. Add the tomato for 15 seconds in the boiling water and remove them with a slotted spoon. Transfer them into the ice water until cooled. The skin will now let go easily.
- you just use tomatoes and some herbs in this recipe go for the best tomatoes you can get, such as Roma tomatoes.
- the olive oil adds flavour to this soup, use the best olive oil (extra virgin) you have in your home.
It’s a good taste!
Recipe Rich tomato
Did you make this rich tomato soup? Tag #byandreajanssen via Instagram or twitter . I love it when you make one of my recipes and I’m looking forward to look it up. You can also share your recipes on my Facebook channel or pin this recipe on Pinterestso you can find it easy next time. See you soon!
Rich tomato soup
- 9 tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 5 leaves basil
- salt and pepper
- olive oil garnish, extra virgin
- 3 basil leaves cut into strips
- Peel the tomatoes, get rid of the seeds and chop the tomatoes in very small pieces.
- Melt the butter in a small pan on low heat.
- Add the onion and cook, while stirring, about 5 minutes until the onion is soft and glazed but hasn't browned.
- Add the tomatoes and cook on low heat, during 30 till 40 minutes or until the tomatoes fall apart and become liquid, while stirring occasionally. Leave the lid half on the pan during that time.
- Chop the basil leaves and add to the tomatoes.
- Get the pan of the heat and blend until it's smooth.
- Push through a fine sieve in a second bowl.
- Pour back in the pan and reheat when it cooled down to much.
- Serve the soup in tea cups and garnish with basil leaves.
- Sprinkle some olive oil on top.
- Blender or food processor with knife
This post is also available in: Dutch