This delicious tender chicken from the Slow Cooker is a very simple recipe, but with a lot of flavor. Juicy and deliciously spiced, with a crispy crust.
Well then you read on the Internet that a fellow food blogger has passed us by. Tessa from I am cooking with love passed away in early February. I have been following her blog for a few years and have met Tessa (together with Marina) a number of times at a food event. What struck me was that she always radiated cheerfulness. A positive attitude. And you saw that on her blog and social media.
So when Marina made an appeal to cook something from Tessa’s blog because she would love it a lot, I immediately looked around and came across this delicious recipe that made my mouth water when I read it. And I also noticed that, just like I always do, she cooked a delicious chicken stock from the remains of bones. That chicken stock is now in the refrigerator to make a delicious chicken soup tomorrow. Tessa this blog is for you!
- The slow cooker is a substitute for cooking in the oven or slow cooking meat and chicken over a petroleum burner And the advantage? The food doesn’t burn and it’s a much safer method. If you don’t have one yet, I can definitely recommend it!
- Turn on the slow cooker before you go to work. Then you can put the chicken on the table when you get home.
- By putting a lemon in the cavity of the chicken, lemon juices are released, which makes the meat extra juicy and gives a lot of flavor.
- By placing the chicken under the grill for another 10 minutes afterwards, you get a delicious crispy outside combined with a juicy inside. Really delicious.
- Replace the lemon with slices of orange for a delicious fresh taste.
- Replace the paprika with smoked paprika for an intense flavor.
- This is delicious with oven baked potatoes and green beans with herb breadcrumbs.
- Put the leftovers in a pan, fill with water and add vegetables such as leek, carrot and celery. Also add some fresh herbs. Bring to a boil and simmer for 3 hours. Strain and you have a delicious stock, you can use for a lot of other things.
- Let the chicken cool down quickly and keep it covered up to 2 days in the refrigerator.
- You can also remove the chicken meat from the bones and freeze it. Let the chicken cool and put it in a freezer bag or container. The chicken meat will remain good for 2 months.
- Have you made stock and do you want to store it? Cool it back quickly and store in the refrigerator for up to 2 days. Or freeze the stock and store in the freezer for up to 2 months.
Other tasty chicken
- Chicken pot pie muffins, a tasty pie filled with chicken from the oven. Easy to prepare.
- Roast chicken with potatoes, easy and made in no time.
- Chicken soup with coconut milk, leftover chicken? Use them to make this soup.
- Oriental chicken soup, another delicious recipe to use your homemade chicken stock.
It’s a good taste!
Recipe Slow Cooker whole
Slow Cooker whole chicken
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 1 onion sliced
- 1 lemon cut in half
- 1 whole chicken
- Put all the spices in a bowl and stir well.
- Halve the lemon.
- Cut the onion into rings.
- Spread the onion over the bottom of the Slow Cooker.
- Place the chicken in front of you and remove all strings.
- Cover the outside of the chicken with the spice mixture.
- Place the lemon and left over spice mixture in the chicken cavity.
- Carefully pick up the chicken and place it on top of the onions on the bottom of the slow cooker.
- Turn the slow cooker on at the highest setting and leave it for at least 5 hours.
- Check whether the chicken is cooked by measuring with a meat thermometer into the thick part of the chicken. This should indicate 75 degrees Celsius. Make sure you don't hit the bone when measuring the temperature of the chicken, because that heats up faster and can therefore already be 75 degrees, while the rest of the chicken is not yet.
- Remove the chicken from the slow cooker when it reaches 75 degrees Celsius. You can eat it right now (but I'm positive you can't resist the tip below to make the skin crispy and crispy):
- Turn on the oven grill and place the chicken including all juices in a roasting pan.
- Slide it under the grill for 10 minutes for a delicious crispy crust.
What did I use to prepare this
Kitchen utensils I’ve used to prepare this recipe. When you follow the link you will go to another page with a short explanation of each item. It’s also possible to order directly if you’re in need.
This post is also available in: Dutch