A creamy chocolate cupcake with a dash of mascarpone frosting and cotton candy on top. A treat that throws high eyes at Halloween.
This cupcake recipe is a basic recipe that you can always use when you want to make chocolate cupcakes. And that also applies to mascarpone frosting. Nice on a vanilla cupcake, but also good to combine with chocolate. Two basic recipes in one.
But to make this cupcake extra special, I topped a little cotton candy on top of the mascarpone frosting. I colored the frosting gold for a dramatic effect and I dressed it up with some black (fake) spiders (which you naturally remove before you actually eat it). For a nice effect I sprinkled some golden sprinkles on the cotton candy, because then it literally really lights up.
It’s a good taste!
Recipe Spider cupcakes with mascarpone frosting and
Did you make this Spider cupcakes with mascarpone frosting and cotton candy? Tag #byandreajanssen via Instagram or twitter . I love it when you make one of my recipes and I’m looking forward to look it up. You can also share your recipes on my Facebook channel or pin this recipe on Pinterestso you can find it easy next time. See you soon!
Spider cupcakes with mascarpone frosting and cotton candy
- 4 tablespoons cocoa
- 75 ml hot water
- 150 grams self-rising flour
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 120 grams butter
- 180 grams sugar
- 2 eggs size M, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 6 tablespoons sour cream
- 200 ml cream
- 200 grams mascarpone
- 50 grams powdered sugar
- dye optional
- colored sugar optional
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius
- Put the cupcake paper forms in the tin.
- Mix the cocoa with the hot water until you get a smooth paste.
- Melt the butter with the sugar in a saucepan over low heat.
- In a bowl, mix the butter mixture for about 5 minutes at medium speed with the mixer.
- Add the egg, vanilla and cocoa paste.
- Set the mixer speed to low.
- Add the flour mixture and mix until just added.
- Finally add the sour cream.
- Divide the batter over the cupcake tins.
- Bake in the oven for 20 minutes, let stand for 5 minutes, and then remove them from the baking tin.
- Allow to cool further to room temperature.
- Put the whipped cream in a bowl and mix with the mixer until it is stiff.
- Optional: if you want a colored frosting add the desired color to this step. Make it a little more intense than you want, because you will mix the cream with mascarpone and that will soften the color a bit.
- In a second bowl, mix the mascarpone with the powdered sugar until well blended.
- Add the whipped cream to the mascarpone mixture and mix with a spatula until done.
- Put the frosting in a piping bag and pipe a tuft of frosting on each cupcake
- Put some cotton candy on the frosting and garnish with a spider (do warn everyone that the spider is not edible).
- Optional: sprinkle some colored sugar on the cotton candy
- hot air oven or bottom and top heat oven (in that case you increase the temperature indicated in the recipe by 20 degrees Celsius)
- muffin / cupcake tin
- 12 paper cupcake baking cups
- Pastry bag with tip
This post is also available in: Dutch