Healthy chocolate muffins, that sounds almost impossible doesn't it? But these muffins with less sugar, less butter and whole wheat flour is certainly a good choice. And they're delicious with an intense chocolate flavor.
Healthy, chocolate and muffins in one sentence. Can that be true? Well, that depends on what you call healthy. Personally I find this a reasonably healthy variation on my old chocolate muffin recipe, because you replace some of the sugar with apples butter. And you also use yogurt instead of butter and partly whole wheat flour.
My opinion is that they are much healthier than chocolate muffins that I normally eat. And if that is healthy enough for you, you may seek your own opinion.
Intense chocolate flavor
What I find especially important is that they have not lost any taste compared to the original one. The chocolate muffins got a nice structure, moist and have an intense chocolate flavor. I'm going to make these more in the future!
Did you make this recipe? Tag #byandreajanssen via Instagram or twitter . I love it when you make one of my recipes and I’m looking forward to look it up. You can also share your recipes on my Facebook channel or pin this recipe on Pinterest so you can find it easy next time. See you soon!
Healthy chocolate muffins
- 150 grams apple butter
- 50 grams sugar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 egg whites size L
- 200 ml low-fat yogurt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 65 grams flour
- 65 grams whole wheat flour
- 30 grams cocoa
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 75 grams dark chocolate cocoa> 70%, chopped into very small pieces
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit / 180 degrees Celsius.
- Grease the muffin pan with some oil.
- In a bowl, mix with a fork the flour, sugar, flour, cocoa, salt, baking powder and baking soda.
- In a second bowl mix the apple butter, honey, egg whites, yogurt and vanilla extract.
- Pour the contents of the second bowl in the first (dry ingredients) while you stir with a wooden spoon.
- When well blended, stir the chocolate through.
- Divide the batter between the muffin tins.
- Put the muffins in the oven and bake 20 to 25 minutes until done (check with a toothpick by stabbing the middle. When it comes out dry the muffins are done).
- Let the muffins stand for 5 minutes and then remove from the mold. Let cool on a rack.