This summer wrap is healthy, quick and easy to prepare snack. The tasteful and creamy tuna salad rolled in a crispy lettuce leaf is a great appetizer for sunny days!
What a bad weather we had. Bleak, cold, clam. Everything looked gray. And it also felt grey. So I was so happy when I pulled the curtains aside this morning and saw the sun was shining bright.
And then I immediately get hungry for healthy light food. I do not mean superfoods, but something with lettuce and maybe in the form of a salad ?
No, because it is always such a mess when you ate a salad at a buffet ( or you have to do it in a festive small bowl) . So I opted for a salad wrap, stuffed with tuna. Easy to hold and ideal for a healthy buffet.
Some tips when making this
Because you should be able to roll the lettuce iceberg lettuce is not so suitable for this snack. Ordinary lettuce can be used and it rolls great but is a bit less festive. When you choose a Lollo Biondo or a Lollo Rosso lettuce to use (make sure it has broad leaves ), the bite looks awfully nice, when it is presented on a serving platter.
If you can choose between Lollo Biondo and Lollo Rosso, choose the Lollo Rosso variety. Not only because it gots a beautiful red color which looks great on your buffet table , but there is a second reason. Green lettuce in general can get brown edges. Lollo rosso with its beautiful red color won't turn in brown (at least you do not see it). As a result, it remains beautiful !
I chose to fill the leaves with a tuna salad, but it is also delicious when you fill the lettuce with a salmon salad or egg salad. Or maybe all three. So your guests got something to choose.
Up to 2 days before use :
Mix the fresh herbs with the olive oil.
In the morning:
Wash the lettuce and put in a bag with a damp paper towel (the lettuce will stay crisp when a damp towel is added) and store until use in the refrigerator. Make the tuna salad and keep covered in the refrigerator.
Just before serving:
Place a lettuce leaf in front of you. Spoon 1/2 tablespoon of tuna salad on the bottom of the leaf. Roll the leaf and place the roll with the seam on the bottom on serving plate . Pour the sauce into a nice bowl and sprinkle coarse sea salt on top. Mix the sauce quickly.
It's a good taste!
Recipe lettuce wrap with tuna
Lettuce wrap with tuna salad
- salad lollo rosso or lollo biondo
- 150 grams tuna
- ½ shallot finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon curry
- ½ teaspoon worcestershire sauce
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons dried herbs
- ½ teaspoon sea salt coarse
- Carefully remove the lettuce leaves and wash them and dry them well. If you do not prepare the dish immediately, keep the lettuce in the fridge covered with a damp paper towel until use.
- Drain the tuna and put it in a bowl.
- Mash the tuna with a fork.
- Add the shallot, mayonnaise, curry and Worcestershire sauce. Mix everything well.
- Allow to marinate for at least 1 hour, covered in the refrigerator.
- Just before use you put a salad leaf in front of you.
- Spoon ½ tablespoon of tuna salad on the bottom (in the middle) of the lettuce leaf and roll it up.
- Place the seam down on the serving platter.
- Mix the olive oil with the herbs and let it taste for at least 3 hours (room temperature).
- Sprinkle just before you serve the sea salt on the dip and mix well again.
What did I use to prepare this
Kitchen utensils I’ve used to prepare this recipe. When you follow the link you will go to another page with a short explanation of each item. It’s also possible to order directly if you’re in need.