Enjoy this tasty Broad Bean Salad with creamy goat cheese and crispy bacon. A recipe that is very easy to make. The flavors of this salad complement each other, and each bite is a taste explosion.
This is a perfect recipe for a summer lunch or as a salad for dinner or BBQ. This salad is surprising and delicious!
Tasty and surprising: Broad bean salad with goat cheese and bacon
Broad beans in the harvest season (July and August) are irresistibly delicious when they are still small, creamy, and soft in taste. The pods of fava beans contain two to five pods, and when you press the pod open, they pop out. I used to think that was such a fun job, and I still love it.
The only thing I remember from the past is that the outer skin can be tough when they get big. Such a waste of this tasty vegetable. But you don't have to worry about that in this salad because we remove the outer skin after cooking, leaving us with that creamy inside. And that is an effortless job. A small slice, and you push out the broad bean.
And together with all the other goodies in this salad, the bacon, sun-dried tomatoes, and goat cheese, this is the perfect summer lunch. I'm going to finish my plate soon!
What do you need for Fresh Broad Beans with Goat's Cheese and Bacon?
You require the following ingredients to prepare this Broad Bean, Bacon, and Goat's Cheese Salad. You can find the correct amounts in the recipe card at the bottom of the blog:
Broad bean salad ingredients
- Broad beans: Are often eaten boiled or steamed. Young beans, the tastiest, have a soft, creamy, and full flavor.
- Mixed Lettuce: This is a good choice because it is crunchy and stays fresh longer. You can also replace it with arugula, which tastes peppery and nutty.
- Bacon: Gives a salty taste to the salad. You can also use bacon slices.
- Goat cheese: Use soft, natural goat cheese or the variant with honey for a sweet taste.
- Sun-dried tomatoes: For a delicious bite, Even tastier than sun-dried tomatoes are semi-sun-dried tomatoes.
- Coarse Mustard: This is a bit darker and gives the dressing a kick. The seeds are coarsely ground with the mustard, which gives a bit of structure and bite.
- Olive oil: Use extra virgin olive oil with a fruity flavor.
- Balsamic vinegar: In this salad, we use white balsamic vinegar that adds a fruity and mildly sour taste to the dressing.
- Honey: For sweetening the dressing
How to prepare Broad Bean Salad & Goat Cheese
You can find a printable recipe with a step-by-step description at the bottom of this blog.
- Bring a pan with water to a boil with a teaspoon of salt and let the broad beans cook for three minutes. Drain the beans and rinse them with cold running water. Drain well. Cut a small slit in the skin of each bean and squeeze out the soft fava bean flesh.
- Fry the bacon in a frying pan without oil until lightly browned. Drain on kitchen paper.
- Divide the lettuce over the plate and top it with goat cheese and bacon strips.
- Add the strips of sun-dried tomatoes and broad beans to the salad. Pour the dressing over the salad and mix well. Serve right away!
Tips, Substitutions, and Variations
- Vegetarian: Replace the bacon with strips of sun-dried tomatoes.
- Also tasty; Strips of grilled bell pepper.
- Goat cheese: If you don't like goat cheese, you can also use feta or mozzarella
Yes, that's fine. Let the beans thaw before you cook them.
Did you make this recipe? Tag #byandreajanssen via Instagram. I enjoy seeing what your creation looks like. Video recipes can be found on my YouTube channel. And don't forget to save the recipes on Pinterest so you can easily find them next time!
SUBSCRIBE for more videos of By Andrea Janssen:https://www.youtube.com/c/ByAndréaJanssen
Broad Bean, Bacon, and Goat's Cheese Salad
Broad Bean Salad with Bacon and Goat Cheese
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 oz. broad beans
- 5 oz. smoked bacon
- 3 ½ oz. mixed lettuce
- 2 oz. soft goat cheese broken in bits
- 2 tablespoons sun-dried tomatoes cut in strips
- 1 teaspoon coarse mustard
- 2 tablespoons olive oil extra vierge
- 2 teaspoons white balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons honey
Ingredients you need per step are listed below the step in Italic
Broad Bean Bacon and Goat's Cheese Salad
- Bring water with one teaspoon of salt to a boil and cook the broad beans for three minutes.1 teaspoon salt, 2 oz. broad beans
- Drain in a colander and rinse with cold water to stop the cooking process.
- Deskin the big broad beans. Cut a small strip into the outer skin and push the inner flesh out.
- Warm a frying pan and bake the bacon until golden brown. Drain on kitchen paper.5 oz. smoked bacon
- Break the bacon in small pieces.
- Mix the lettuce, broad beans, goat cheese, sun-dried tomatoes and bacon well.3 ½ oz. mixed lettuce, 2 oz. soft goat cheese, 2 tablespoons sun-dried tomatoes
Dressing and Assemble
- In a second bowl whisk olive oil, mustard, vinegar, and honey.1 teaspoon coarse mustard, 2 tablespoons olive oil, 2 teaspoons white balsamic vinegar, 2 teaspoons honey
- At taste add some vinegar or honey.
- Pour the dressing over the salad and eat immediately.
- This is a very nice dish with a baguette.
- Mixed lettuce: Through arugula, which gives a light pepper taste.
- Bacon: You can also use bacon slices. Replace the bacon with strips of sun-dried tomatoes for a vegetarian version.
- Goat cheese: Use soft, natural goat cheese or the variant with honey for a sweet taste. If you don't like goat cheese, you can also use feta or mozzarella.
- Sun-dried tomatoes: Semi-sun-dried tomatoes are delicious!
- Add strips of grilled bell pepper for extra flavor.