Juicy asparagus, spicy Danish Blue cheese, bread and salty ham are the basis of this recipe for Asparagus roll ups. A luxury high tea recipe.
Asparagus, the white gold. In this case they are a nice green color (just because it looks much better in this sandwich). The asparagus roll ups not only look super nice on your high tea table, but also taste good because of the salty ham, the spicy cheese and the juicy asparagus. They are great to prepare a day in advance and you keep them in the fridge until use.
1 day in advance
- these asparagus roll ups can easily be prepared one day in advance. Keep them in the refrigerator until use. You only have to slice them just before the start of your high tea and you can serve them immediately.
It's a good taste!
Asparagus roll ups
This recipe is:
- Steam oven or a pan with a steam basket
- Rolling pin
- 24 green asparagus
- 100 grams cream cheese room temperature
- 50 grams Danish Blue cheese (or another spicy cheese)
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon chives finely chopped
- 12 slices white bread casino bread is best because of its square shape.
- 12 slices Prosciutto
- Grab the asparagus with one hand in the middle and with the other hand at the bottom and break the asparagus. It will break at the point where the woody part of the asparagus turns into the soft part (that you want to keep).
- Check if the asparagus is al dente. Do this by piercing the thick part of the asparagus with a fork. The fork must be able to easily poke into the asparagus (you don't have to feel any resistance).
- Wash the asparagus.
- Break the asparagus (see notes). Throw away the end (woody part and put the rest in the steam basket). Repeat for all asparagus.
- Bring a pan of water to the boil.
- When the water boils, steam the asparagus until al dente in about 6 minutes. This step is also possible in a steam oven. Check if the asparagus is al dente (see notes).
- Mix the cream cheese, Danish Blue, mayonnaise and chives with a spatula in a bowl.
- Place a slice of bread in front of you and roll it as flat as possible with the rolling pin.
- Cut the crusts off the bread.
- Spread the bread with the cream cheese mixture.
- Place a slice of Prosciutto on top (if necessary cut in half, but make sure to cover the whole slice).
- Take two asparagus and place them on one side of the bread slice. Make sure they are opposite (so one can have a asparagus point and a end). Cut off the excess asparagus on the back of the asparagus).
- Roll the bread tightly.
- Lay on a piece of plastic wrap and wrap tightly. Allow to cool for at least one hour in the refrigerator.
- Just before use, remove the asparagus roll ups from the cooling and cut each slice in half. Serve immediately.