Spicy Cashew Chicken is tender chicken cooked in a delicious, flavorful sauce, with delicious vegetables and cashew nuts. This easy Thai recipe is very quick to make, without packets and bags, and very tasty. Serve it with rice and spring onions and it's a real family favorite! One of those easy weeknight meals!
Homemade Spicy Cashew Chicken
In the past, I was once acquainted with a package of cashew chicken with such a ready-made sauce that you can buy in the supermarket. Done quickly and simply. Or I called in some Chinese fast-food restaurant. But what if you make it yourself?
Now that turns out to be very simple. It is a very quick recipe that makes an easy dinner to prepare. There is almost no difference in preparation time. And it's a lot cheaper though. It also tastes much, much better. Now that I've made this, I'm really not going to use a pack or sack-like that anymore.
By frying the cashews for a while, they get a delicious full nut flavor and the pepper becomes deliciously crispy. The flavorful sauce with some salt, sweetness, and umami is deep and rich. Yes, this is a great recipe that will make the whole family happy.
What do you need for Thai cashew Chicken without Bags and Packages
For the preparation of this spicy cashew chicken recipe with a delicious sauce you need the following ingredients (you can find the correct amounts at the bottom of the blog in the recipe card):
- Chicken breast - boneless chicken breast halves or chicken thighs are both good to use for spicy cashew chicken. In any case, use boneless chicken.
- Soy Sauce - In this recipe we use two types of soy sauce. Light soy sauce that has a salty taste (you can also replace it with Kecap Asin, low sodium soy sauce, dark soy sauce, or Japanese soy sauce). And which is syrupy and sweet (and if you have nothing else then replace it with with a teaspoon of brown sugar).
- Oyster Sauce - This Cantonese sauce is dark brown in color and syrupy. And it is the Umami of this Thai dish. It is made from fermented soy sauce, and it is flavored with oyster juice, caramel, and salt. You could substitute it with half the amount of fish sauce.
- Sweet point pepper - A point pepper is a bit sweeter compared to normal red bell peppers. If you have it in stock, you can use them too.
- Cashew nuts - The cashew nuts are lightly fried in oil so that they get a delicious full nutty taste and you'll get crunchy cashews.
- Red Pepper - For the spice in this dish.
How to make this Thai World dish with cashew nuts
A recipe with extensive steps, the right amount of ingredients, and which you can also easily print can be found at the bottom of the blog.
- Preparation - Mix the sauce in a bowl and make sure the sugar has dissolved. Fry the cashew nuts and the red pepper in the oil.
- Baking chicken - Mix the chicken with flour and fry until golden brown and cooked through and remove from pan.
- Vegetables and sauce - Fry the onion, garlic and pepper and pour in the sauce. Continue to heat until the sauce becomes sticky.
- Ready - Add the chicken, cashew nuts and fried pepper to the wok and mix well so that the sauce coats everything. Garnish with finely chopped spring onion.
Did you make this recipe? Tag #byandreajanssen via Instagram. I enjoy seeing what your creation looks like. Video recipes can be found on my YouTube channel. And don't forget to save the recipes on Pinterest so you can easily find them next time!
- Chef's knife
- 1 tablespoon light soy sauce
- ½ tablespoon Kecap Medja
- ½ tablespoon Oyster sauce
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 3 tablespoons water
Spicy Cashew Chicken
- ⅓ cup sunflower oil olive oil or peanut oil
- 3 oz. cashew nuts
- 1 red chili pepper cut into fine pieces
- ⅔ pound chicken breast In cubes of 1 x 1 inch (2 × 2 cm)
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 tablespoon sunflower oil
- 1 onion cut into rings
- 4 cloves garlic fresh, squeezed
- 1 sweet point pepper without seeds, in cubes of ½ x ½ inch (1 x 1 cm)
- 3 spring onions cut into strips
Ingredients you need per step are listed below the step in Italic
- Place the soy sauce, soy sauce Medja, oyster sauce, black pepper, salt, and sugar with 3 tablespoons of water in a small bowl and mix until the sugar has dissolved.1 tablespoon light soy sauce, ½ tablespoon Kecap Medja, ½ tablespoon Oyster sauce, ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper, ⅛ teaspoon salt, 1 teaspoon sugar, 3 tablespoons water
Spicy Cashew Chicken
- Heat the sunflower oil in the wok or a large skillet and fry the cashew nuts for 1 minute. Remove them from the pan with a slotted spoon and drain them on kitchen paper.⅓ cup sunflower oil, 3 oz. cashew nuts
- Now add the pepper and fry for 1 minute. Remove it from the wok and let it drain on kitchen paper as well.1 red chili pepper
- Mix the chicken with the flour.⅔ pound chicken breast, 2 tablespoons flour
- Fry the chicken pieces for 5 minutes until golden brown and cooked through on high heat. Remove from wok and set aside. Remove the oil from the wok.
- Now pour 1 tablespoon of new oil into the pan and add the onion. Stir fry for 2 minutes on medium-high heat.1 tablespoon sunflower oil, 1 onion
- Add the garlic and sweet point pepper to the wok and stir fry veggies for a minute.4 cloves garlic, 1 sweet point pepper
- Pour in the sauce and stir the sauce while heating until it becomes sticky.
- Return the chicken, cashew nuts, and fried pepper to the wok and stir well to coat with the sauce. Add some water if it is too dry.
- Turn off the heat and garnish with green onions. serve.3 spring onions
- Add some extra or sweet chili sauce when you're a spicy food lover.
- Add a dash of lime juice for a bit of sweetness and sourness.
- Top with sesame seeds for extra flavor.
- Refrigerator - You can keep the chicken in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 days.
- Frozen - Pack the chicken in a freezer box or bag and store it in the freezer for up to 2 months.
- Reheat - Add 3 tablespoons of water and heat, stirring, over medium heat until the Thai Chicken is warm again. Add additional water if necessary.