This is a meal which you can make very fast when you are in a hurry (on your table in 15 minutes). It’s healthy and got a lot of flavors. Rice with a slight lemon flavor, spicy bok choy, and ketjap chicken provides a delicious combination on your plate.
It’s time again for the monthly foodblogswap . This means that one of my colleague food blogger makes a recipe from my blog. In this case, Paul Oosten, from de Geur van Maillard. Paul made Asparagus soup with ham and grated egg. As always Paul is colorful in his descriptions and the soup, according to Paul, tasted very well. And he has promised to cook another recipe from my site, so I’ll be waiting.
And because I can appreciate his recipes and writing style so highly I’m going to cook something from his blog on short notice!
I had to make something of the blog of Hanneke and Jolien called thuiskok. A blog with a variety of recipes , where I searched through delicious sounding recipes. The cookies were already swapped a few times, so I choose not to make them. And then I stumbled upon a recipe from 24Kitchen which Hanneke made. See the results here :
A few tips when making this dish:
- The crushed lemon grass gives a light lemon flavor to your rice. As a result, the rice smells great and got a slight lemon flavor, which is a great addition to this dish. If you don’t have lemon grass, you could add a slice of lemon peel to the water to get a similar result. But if you don’t like a lemon flavor then just don’t add it.
- I always pat the chicken with a kitchen towel before it goes into the pan. As a result, there are almost no splashes when added ( butter with water gives fat splashes !) (And I won’t have to clean the stove!) . And when the chicken is very wet, the fat cools of to far so the chicken is cooked instead of fried.
- When I get my meat and chicken in sauces I cook the meat or chicken at least 10 minutes in the sauce. The dish got much more flavor and the meat or chicken gets coated with the sauce which really looks nice on your plate. That’s a great side effect!
Did you make this recipe? Tag #byandreajanssen via Instagram. I enjoy seeing what your creation looks like. Video recipes can be found on my YouTube channel. And don't forget to save the recipes on Pinterest so you can easily find them next time!
SUBSCRIBE for more videos of By Andrea Janssen:https://www.youtube.com/c/ByAndréaJanssen
Soy sauce chicken, lemon rice and stir-fry bok choy
Rice with lemon flavor
- 1 stick lemongrass
- 400 grams brown rice
Soy sauce chicken
- 400 grams chicken breast into cubes
- 1 teaspoon Chinese five-spice powder
- sunflower oil
- 3 tablespoons ketjap manis
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons chili sauce
- 200 milliliters water
Stir-fry bok choy
- 1 onion
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 bushes bok choy
Ingredients you need per step are listed below the step in Italic
Rice with lemon flavor
- Crush the lemon grass so that it releases it's flavor. (That can best done by pressing hard on the stalk.)
- Put enough water in the pan for cooking the rice and bring to a boil. Add the rice and place the lemon grass on top.
- Cook the rice according to the instructions on the package.
- Remove the lemon grass when the rice is ready. Keep the lid a bit on the pan so that the rice becomes dry.
soy sauce chicken
- Pat the chicken dry with a paper towel and sprinkle with Chinese five spice powder and a little salt.
- Heat a little oil and put the chicken in a frying pan and fry until golden brown in about 4 minutes.
- Pour the sweet soy sauce, soy sauce, chili sauce and the water in the pan. Bring to the boil and let the chicken simmer for about 10 minutes on low heat in the sauce.
Stir-fry bok choy
- Peel and chop the onion.
- Peel and slice the garlic.
- Cut the bok choy into strips.
- Heat a little oil in a pan and fry the onion and garlic for about 2 minutes.
- Add the bok choy and stir-fry until cooked in about 3 minutes.
- Season with a little salt and freshly ground pepper .