Delicious Yakitori chicken kebabs, which are grilled on a bbq of griddle. With the kebabs you serve a delicious sweet Yakitori sauce, homemade off course.
Yakitori chicken kebabs are one of the most favorite appetizers in our house. But we also love them for dinner as a side dish at our BBQ or at dinner time. So this is a very versatile recipe and I certainly can recommend it. I've found it in a cookbook Basisboek Aziatisch (it's a Dutch cookbook) from Jody Wassalon and Emily Ezekiel and I've adapted it.
It's a good taste!
Recipe Yakitori chicken
Yakitori chicken kebabs
- 375 grams chicken breast finely sliced
- 2 eggs size L, slightly whisked
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 4 teaspoons corn starch
- 60 grams panko
- 1 tablespoon ginger fresh and grated
- 80 ml sake
- 100 ml soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon mirin
- 1 tablespoon confectioners sugar
- 2 tablespoons sunflower oil
- Put the bamboo skewers in a bowl of water so they are wet and don't burn when grilling.
- First make minced chicken by grinding the chicken with a kitchen machine.
- Mix the minced meat with the eggs, salt, 1 tablespoon of corn starch, panko and ginger and knead well so that it is mixed.
- Make balls about 2½ cm in diameter from the chicken mince and place on a cold plate.
- Cover with plastic foil and leave for a minimum of 30 minutes in the refrigerator (so that they won't fall apart in the pan).
- Make the sauce by adding baking soda, soy sauce, mirin and confectioners sugar into a pan and then warm on low heat until it boils.
- Make a sauce of ½ teaspoon corn starch with 1 tablespoon of water and pour it in the pan when the sauce boils. Make sure you keep stirring.
- Simmer the sauce so it thickens (takes about 5 minutes). Cover the sauce so it stays warm.
- Let the grill (pan) become hot.
- Stick three balls of chicken minced meat on a skewer and sprinkle with some oil.
- Grill the kebabs while you occasionally turn until they are done and brown.
- Take the kebabs of the grill, dip them into the sauce and serve immediately.