Bolognese, a tomato meat sauce and often used as a topping on your spaghetti. But did you know you can make a delicious quiche with it?
An Italian buffet without bolognese sauce? Of course, it works, but in this buffet, I want to use it in a dish. And today I used the sauce a bit different into a delicious quiche. And did I make it up all by myself? A bit, but it's adapted from an idea from a recipe on AH.nl (called quiche bolognese) and I thought it was a great idea, except .... in this dish a sack with instant bolognese mix for spaghetti was used for the quiche. I don't like to use sacks. So I thought could be better! And really that doesn't take a lot of effort and it takes you 20 minutes of extra time. In that time you get a rich tomato sauce with a great slight sweet taste... And after tasting it you won't buy the sack anymore!
- Of course, you can use fresh tomatoes (500 grams) for this dish for the sauce. But, as with many fruits and vegetables, tomatoes are great when in the season but in the other seasons they are watery and have less flavor. To ensure a good quality you can use canned tomatoes. So you get a consistent quality of your sauce.
- Before you add the tomato paste to the sauce, fry it briefly in a skillet. Why? Smell raw tomato paste. It smells sour and it tastes the same way too. When you cook it for 2 minutes in a skillet the smell will change and the taste becomes sweet. And that is a great addition to this sauce.
- In this sauce, you use a little bit of sugar. Tomatoes have a slightly sweet undertone. By adding a little sugar, the sweet taste will get stronger. And that is very tasty. (If you ever cook fresh carrots, the carrots become so much sweeter by adding a pinch of sugar).
- Do not use puff pastry for this recipe, but savory pie dough. The buttery puff fits less well in this recipe. Also, it gots a lot of extra calories that aren't really necessary.
Up to 2 weeks ahead:
- Make the quiches and bake them for 15 minutes. Let the quiches cool to room temperature and put them in a freezer bag (place a sheet of baking paper between the quiches). Freeze the quiches.
The day when serving buffet:
- Bake the quiche for 20-25 minutes in the oven and serve immediately. The quiches do not have to be pre-thawed
It's a good taste!
Recipe Bolognese quiche
Did you make this recipe? Tag #byandreajanssen via Instagram. I really enjoy seeing what your creation looks like. Video recipes can be found on my YouTube channel. And don't forget to save the recipes on Pinterest so you can easily find them next time!
Pas met de knoppen het aantal personen aan.
- 10 baking forms or 1 big quiche form
- 2 cloves garlic
- 300 grams minced beef
- 15 grams herbs thyme, rosemary, basil
- 1 bay leaf
- 60 grams tomato paste
- 400 grams sieved tomatoes
- 400 grams peeled tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 10 sheets savory pie dough
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 100 grams cherry tomatoes roma
- 350 ml milk
- 3 eggs size L
- 100 grams cheese grated
- Cut the onion finely.
- Squeeze the garlic.
- Take the skillet and add a dash of olive oil.
- Heat the pan over low heat.
- Then add the garlic and fry for 2 more minutes. Turn off the heat.
- Take a frying pan and put the tomato puree in the frying pan.
- Place the frying pan on low heat.
- Stir well with a spoon and fry the mash for about 3 minutes. Smell if the potato puree is done. If it smells sour it must bake a little longer, when it smells sweet it's alright.
- Turn off the heat and add the onion-garlic.
- Take the skillet and pour some oil in it.
- Fry the minced meat, breaking it up with the ladle.
- Add the herbs, salt, and pepper.
- When the minced meat is done, add the tomato puree, peeled tomatoes, and sieved tomatoes.
- Place the bay leaf on top of the sauce.
- Place the lid on the pan and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Stir occasionally through the pan.
- Preheat the oven to 220 degrees Celsius.
- Cover de baking tins with the savory pie dough and place them on a baking sheet.
- Spread the cherry tomatoes on the bottom of the quiche.
- Mix the bolognese sauce with milk, egg, and cheese.
- Spoon the bolognese mixture in each form.
- Put the quiches in the oven and bake for 25-30 minutes.