Creamy yogurt ice cream with caramelized walnuts and sweet honey. A terrific end of a Greek buffet.
After a fully filled buffet table loaded with all sorts of Greek food, the last serving plates are scraped. The buffet dishes are balancing like real acrobats on the counter, working hard not to fall. The cutlery is already soaking in the sink filled with lots of shiny bubbles because of the excess detergent that is just squirted in the water. Gosh, again I squeezed too hard in the bottle. Nearly satisfied and quite expectantly the guests are watching me: "What more would she offers us?". With a steady pace I walk to the freezer and pull out a big box. That promises a real good ending....
That's about how I ended my Greek buffet which I served. That had to be brought to a spectacular end. And besides the homemade baklava, I had another surprise in store: homemade Greek yogurt ice cream (made without ice cream machine) with caramelized walnuts (you know the ones that so deliciously melt on your tongue) and a drop of honey.
- you do not use an ice cream machine, you add some whipped cream to get air into the ice.
- you love crunchy walnuts, but certainly do not want to burn them, stay near the frying pan while you bake them (believe me from experience I know you should).
- the only sauce you use on the ice cream is honey, so look for a delicious sort. I chose a thyme flavor honey, because it fits very well with the Greek cuisine and got a delicious taste.
One week in advance:
- Prepare the ice cream one week in advance and store in the freezer until use.
1 day before:
- caramelize the walnuts and store them in a sealed, airtight container.
Recipe Greek yogurt ice cream with walnuts and honey
Did you make this recipe? Tag #byandreajanssen via Instagram. I enjoy seeing what your creation looks like. Video recipes can be found on my YouTube channel. And don't forget to save the recipes on Pinterest so you can easily find them next time!
Greek yogurt ice cream with walnuts and honey
Use the buttons to adjust the number of people.
Greek yogurt ice cream
- 200 ml cream
- 5 tablespoons honey
- pinch salt
- 500 ml Greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 50 grams walnuts
- 25 grams sugar
Greek Yogurt ice cream
- Whip the cream with the honey until stiff.
- Fold the cream with the salt into the Greek yogurt with a spatula.
- Pour into a freezer box and put in the freezer for at least 4 hours.
- Melt the butter over low heat in a skillet.
- Toss the walnuts in.
- Sprinkle the sugar on top and stir well. Keep stirring otherwise it will burn.
- When the sugar has melted, you take the walnuts out of the frying pan and place them on a baking paper.
- Let it cool to room temperature.
- Chop the walnuts coarsely.
- Spoon a scoop of ice cream in the glass. Sprinkle with walnuts and add a drop of honey.