Creamy yogurt ice cream with caramelized walnuts and sweet honey. A terrific end of a Greek buffet.
After a fully filled buffet table loaded with all sorts of Greek food, the last serving plates are scraped. The buffet dishes are balancing like real acrobats on the counter, working hard not to fall. The cutlery is already soaking in the sink filled with lots of shiny bubbles because of the excess detergent that is just squirted in the water. Gosh, again I squeezed too hard in the bottle. Nearly satisfied and quite expectantly the guests are watching me: "What more would she offers us?". With a steady pace I walk to the freezer and pull out a big box. That promises a real good ending....
That's about how I ended my Greek buffet which I served. That had to be brought to a spectacular end. And besides the homemade baklava, I had another surprise in store: homemade Greek yogurt ice cream (made without ice cream machine) with caramelized walnuts (you know the ones that so deliciously melt on your tongue) and a drop of honey.
- you do not use an ice cream machine, you add some whipped cream to get air into the ice.
- you love crunchy walnuts, but certainly do not want to burn them, stay near the frying pan while you bake them (believe me from experience I know you should).
- the only sauce you use on the ice cream is honey, so look for a delicious sort. I chose a thyme flavor honey, because it fits very well with the Greek cuisine and got a delicious taste.
One week in advance:
- Prepare the ice cream one week in advance and store in the freezer until use.
1 day before:
- caramelize the walnuts and store them in a sealed, airtight container.
It's a good taste!
Recipe Greek yogurt ice cream with walnuts and
Greek yogurt ice cream with walnuts and honey
Greek yogurt ice cream
- 200 ml cream
- 5 tablespoons honey
- pinch salt
- 500 ml Greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 50 grams walnuts
- 25 grams sugar
Greek Yogurt ice cream
- Whip the cream with the honey until stiff.
- Fold the cream with the salt into the Greek yogurt with a spatula.
- Pour into a freezer box and put in the freezer for at least 4 hours.
- Melt the butter over low heat in a skillet.
- Toss the walnuts in.
- Sprinkle the sugar on top and stir well. Keep stirring otherwise it will burn.
- When the sugar has melted, you take the walnuts out of the frying pan and place them on a baking paper.
- Let it cool to room temperature.
- Chop the walnuts coarsely.
- Spoon a scoop of ice cream in the glass. Sprinkle with walnuts and add a drop of honey.
What did I use to prepare this
Kitchen utensils I’ve used to prepare this recipe. When you follow the link you will go to another page with a short explanation of each item. It’s also possible to order directly if you’re in need.