Macaroni and cheese from the oven, a savory, yet slightly sweet macaroni casserole. Crunchy and soft, this recipe has everything in it
In America you hear sometimes the term macaroni with cheese (mac and cheese) in tv series and movies. A dish that they eat there often it seems. A traditional recipe. And although we here often eat pasta and macaroni thereby is used regularly I have never made a pasta recipe (other than lasagna) from the oven. And I really wanted to know whether I was missing something. I mean, as a part of the population is so fond of it, am I missing something? So I took the plunge and went searching in my cookbooks. And in a Christmas Cookbook by Nigella Lawson (who always cooks so delicious), I came across a macaroni and cheese recipe.
If Nigella says so...
However, there was one but, the recipe was to feed a complete orphanage so much pasta (which perhaps was not surprising, since it was written in the chapter come along and I think many people want to eat at Miss Lawson, I at least would if I were invited). So I had to rewrite it. And when I was doing that I saw that I needed condensed milk. In a macaroni recipe which was something I'd never come up with. I often use it in cakes or sweet desserts, but a hearty pasta dish ... But if Nigella says you have to use it you of course add it and won't change it for something else.
And I must say, after I made it I thought it was actually a very successful addition. Unexpectedly, certainly, but very successful. My compliments to Nigella, definitely not longer question her recipes. And now you want to know what it tastes like? I'd say try it out. We were certainly surprised by the wonderful flavor combination.
It's a good taste!
Recipe Macaroni with Cheese
Mac and cheese casserole
- 500 grams macaroni
- 90 grams butter room temperature, unsalted
- 75 g flour
- 1 teaspoon Mustard Dijon
- 750 ml milk
- 400 grams condensed milk
- 120 grams Emmenthal cheese grated
- 120 grams cheese grated
- 30 grams Parmesan cheese grated
- salt to taste
- Preheat oven to 220 degrees Celsius.
- Grease a baking dish with a little butter.
- Put a pan with plenty of water on the stove and bring to a boil.
- Cook the pasta al dente and drain it.
- Melt butter in a second pan (do not let it brown)
- Add all the flour at once, while you stir and let it bake (the raw taste of the flour goes off), do not change color, about 2 minutes.
- Carefully pour the milk to the butter mixture, stirring with a whisk to avoid lumps.
- Then add the condensed milk, and heat well, but just not boil.
- Turn off the heat
- Mix the three cheeses together in a bowl.
- Get a hand out and mix the rest of the cheese with the milk sauce (stirring with a whisk).
- Season with salt
- Put the macaroni into the baking dish and pour the cheese sauce on top.
- Mix together well.
- Sprinkle the leftover cheese on top and put the dish it in the oven.
- Bake 20 minutes until golden brown.
What did I use to prepare this
Kitchen utensils I’ve used to prepare this recipe. When you follow the link you will go to another page with a short explanation of each item. It’s also possible to order directly if you’re in need.