A meatball that's full of flavor in a creamy gravy. Prepared with some salty bacon and sweet thyme. A lovely ball served with a nice hotchpot or mashed potatoes.
Wednesday meatball day in the Netherlands. Well, it's not Wednesday, but nevertheless a meatball is always possible. Here they are received at least with loud cheers.
Often we eat them in winter with a hotchpot.
You make a nice hole in the hotchpot and you place the meatball in. With a little gravy alongside. Then the meal can't go wrong.
And even though I find a delicious Dutch meatball is always a winner. These meatballs with salty bacon and sweet thyme are irresistibly delicious. I would say try it yourself!
Did you make this recipe? Tag #byandreajanssen via Instagram. I enjoy seeing what your creation looks like. Video recipes can be found on my YouTube channel. And don't forget to save the recipes on Pinterest so you can easily find them next time!
Meatballs with bacon and thyme
Pas met de knoppen het aantal personen aan.
- 1 shallot
- 1 clove garlic
- 75 grams bacon
- 2 teaspoons thyme dried
- 4 tablespoons breadcrumbs
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 1 egg size L
- 500 grams minced beef
- 3 tablespoons butter
- salt and pepper to taste
- Chop the onion and slice the garlic finely.
- Fry the bacon strips about 1 minute in the pan.
- Add the onion and bake for another 3 minutes.
- Add the garlic and thyme and fry everything about 1 minute, while continuing to stir.
- Remove from heat.
- Put the breadcrumbs in the bowl and pour the milk in.
- Mix with the onion mixture, the egg and meat.
- Bring to taste with salt and pepper.
- Role eight balls from the meat.
- Melt the butter in the pan and fry the balls until golden brown.
- Reduce heat to low and add 1 cup hot water.
- Put the lid on the pan and bake the balls in about 20 minutes. (check occasionally and turn them when needed).
- Take the balls out of the pan to make a gravy:
- Using a wooden spatula scrape the bottom of the pan.
- Add 2 tablespoons of hot water (and optional one teaspoon thyme). Serve the gravy with the meatballs.