Homemade almond paste is the filling of this recipe for this speculaas pie. Wonderfully crispy, flavored with gingerbread spices, this is a nice cake to make in this time of the year.
Speculaas filled with almonds, that is just part of Sinterklaas. And then with real almond paste. That is not always easy to come by, so I prefer to make it myself. That is not difficult at all. And you know exactly what's in it. And I made a real pie of it.
And of course you also make the dough for the speculaas pie yourself. Wonderfully crispy and yet creamy. Made from butter which you can taste. So much better than the store bought filled speculaas.
- you do not want to peel almonds use almond shavings (they are already without skin)
- if you brush the speculaas dough with egg, it will shine very nice. Beat the egg before you brush it otherwise you will get stains on your cake.
- you let the dough get really cold in the refrigerator, it sticks less and you can shape it better.
Recipe Speculaas pie with almond filling
Did you make this speculaas pie with almond filling? Tag #byandreajanssen via Instagram or twitter . I love it when you make one of my recipes and I’m looking forward to look it up. You can also share your recipes on my Facebook channel or pin this recipe on Pinterestso you can find it easy next time. See you soon!
Speculaas pie with almond garnish
Pas met de knoppen het aantal personen aan.
- Rolling pin
- Spring form 26 cm diameter
- 250 grams butter room temperature
- 300 grams light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons gingerbread spices
- 50 mL whole milk
- 500 grams self-rising flour
- 200 grams almonds no skin, halved
- 200 grams sugar
- 1 egg size L
- flour dusting
- 1 tablespoon egg beaten with 1 tablespoon water
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- Mix the self-rising flour with the sugar, milk, gingerbread spices and butter into a cohesive and smooth dough by using a mixer or knead with your hands.
- Divide it in half and press it flat in a round shape.
- Pack in plastic film and place in the refrigerator.
- Put the almonds together with the sugar in the blender and mix. Add the egg and mix well again.
- Make a circle, wrap the paste in plastic foil and let it set in the fridge for at least 20 minutes.
Cake preparation and garnish
- Place a baking paper at the bottom of the spring form.
- Sprinkle some flour on the work surface and roll out 1 of the two dough slices into a circle of 40 cm diameter.
- Place the dough in the spring form and press the raised edge against the side.
- Take the almond paste and roll it large enough in a round form so you can stuff the cake.
- Smooth the top with the back of a spoon.
- Roll the second piece of dough to a diameter of 26 cm.
- Press the sides tightly.
- Place the almonds in a nice pattern on the top and press them lightly in the dough.
- Brush with the egg mixture.
- Put the cake in the oven and bake for 1 hour.
- Allow to cool for 10 minutes and afterwards release the spring form carefully.