Pepernoten cupcakes are filled with pepernoten and are topped with a delicious butter cream which is garnished with crunched pepernoten. A beautiful cupcake for Sinterklaas Eve.
It's almost 5 december and on that date we celebrate in the Netherlands Sinterklaas and I think you can compare it with Santa Claus, just a little bit earlier in December. We celebrate it 5 December. One of the traditions is that we ate lots of pepernoten. So today I share a recipe with pepernoten, called pepernoten muffins. If you like it, but you can’t buy them, this is the link to the recipe of the pepernoten.
How did some one think of the name pepernoten (in English: pepper nuts). In the earliest recipes one of the main ingredients was... pepper.
During time the recipe is adapted and a mix of spices is created. But pepper is stil an ingredient.
Spice mix for pepernoten
The spice mix for pepernoten smells delicious and everybody gots it's own recipe. When I make my own, I usually mix the following spices (all grounded) as mentioned in the recipe below.
- If you don’t got paper cupcake forms or won’t use them, butter the baking form to easily release the muffins.
- Don’t use butter that’s easy to smear on room temperature. It can happen that the piping won’t last. Better choose a firm butter.
It's a good taste!
Did you make these pepernoten cupcakes? Tag #byandreajanssen via Instagram or twitter . I love it when you make one of my recipes and I’m looking forward to look it up. You can also share your recipes on my Facebook channel or pin this recipe on Pinterestso you can find it easy next time. See you soon!
- A conventional oven is used. When using a convection oven (with air fan) decrease the temperature with 30 °F / 20 °C
- cupcake and muffin pan
- 12 paper cupcake baking cups
- piping bag with a large nozzle
gingerbread - speculoos spices
- 8 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon cloves
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 teaspoon ground white pepper
- 1 teaspoon coriander seeds
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground aniseed
- 1 teaspoon mace
- 125 grams butter room temperature
- 125 grams sugar
- 125 grams self-rising flour
- 2 eggs size L
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 handfull pepernoten
- 250 grams butter room temperature
- 250 grams icing sugar
- 2 tablespoons milk
- pepernoten grounded
Ingredients you need per step are listed below the step in Italic
Gingerbread - Speculoos spice
- Mix the spices very well and store in an airtight jar so you can use them all winter.
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- Put the butter in a bowl.
- Mix the butter with a mixer on high speed for 3 minutes.
- Add the sugar and whisk another 2 minutes.
- Break the eggs, one by one and add to the batter. Add the second egg when the first one is completely combined with the batter.
- Pour the vanilla-extract in the bowl and whisk another minute.
- Add the self-raising flour and mix the flour in the batter with a spatula.
- Crunch the pepernoten and add to the batter.
- Whisk very gently with a spatula until everything is mixed.
- Put the cupcake forms into the baking form and pour in the batter until the forms are ⅔ filled.
- Fill all the forms and put the baking form in the oven.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- Let the cupcakes cool down for 5 minutes and release them from the baking form.
- Let them cool down on a rack to room temperature.
- To make the butter cream add the butter and icing sugar in a bowl.
- Mix on low speed.
- When they are combined add 2 tablespoons milk.
- Change the mixer to high speed and mix for another 3 minutes.
- Spoon the cream into a piping bag.
- When the cupcakes are cooled down to room temperature, pipe the butter cream on the cupcakes.
- Sprinkle mashed pepernoten as garnish on top.
What did I use to prepare this
Kitchen utensils I’ve used to prepare this recipe. When you follow the link you will go to another page with a short explanation of each item. It’s also possible to order directly if you’re in need.
- a good pair of knives
- cutting board
- Baking paper or baking mat
- Immersion hand blender and hand mixer
- Brushes, spatulas and other cooking utensils
- Cupcake tin with paper baking cups