Making Dutch Speculaaskruiden spice mix yourself is very easy. They are essential to Speculaas and other baked goods around Sinterklaas and Christmas. It consists of a mixture of different warm herbs and spices that fit together perfectly and smell wonderful. Make your own quickly!
Homemade Speculaaskruiden Spice Mix
Speculaaskruiden are an indispensable spice mix in Dutch cuisine, used in gevulde speculaas to kruidnoten. From taai taai to Sinterklaas liqueur, you can vary endlessly. The composition may differ, but the base is always cinnamon, cloves, and nutmeg.
And you might wonder why you make them yourself. Well, because homemade speculaas spices usually have a fuller taste. And you can adjust the flavor to your preference.
And it may also be that they are unavailable in your area. Now, this is an easy recipe to have on hand. I can recommend it!
Traditional Dutch Spice Mix: Speculaaskruiden
Are Dutch speculaas spices the same as the American pumpkin spice mix? This is a question that is often asked. And although some ingredients are similar, the Dutch spice mix has a much deeper taste. So it cannot be exchanged one for one.
So, do you want to make delicious (Dutch) baked goods for Sinterklaas or Christmas? Then make this easy spice mix yourself!
Did you make this recipe? Tag #byandreajanssen via Instagram. I enjoy seeing what your creation looks like. Video recipes can be found on my YouTube channel. And don't forget to save the recipes on Pinterest so you can easily find them next time!
SUBSCRIBE for more videos of By Andrea Janssen:https://www.youtube.com/c/ByAndréaJanssen
Dutch Speculaaskruiden Recipe
- 8 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons ground nutmeg freshly ground
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 teaspoon ground white pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground aniseed
- 1 teaspoon Ground mace ground (ground)
Ingredients you need per step are listed below the step in Italic
- Place all ingredients in a bowl.8 teaspoons ground cinnamon, 2 teaspoons ground nutmeg, 1 teaspoon ground cloves, 1 teaspoon ground cardamom, 1 teaspoon ground white pepper, 1 teaspoon ground coriander, 1 teaspoon ground ginger, 1 teaspoon ground aniseed, 1 teaspoon Ground mace
- Mix everything. Spoon the spices into an airtight (glass) jar and store them in a cool, dark place (but not in the refrigerator).
- Use fresh spices or grind them just before mixing.
- This mix is a basic recipe that you can vary to your taste.