If you like shawarma, I have the perfect recipe to make your Shawarma spice mix. That is not only super fun to prepare, but also much tastier than the ready-made spice mixes from the supermarket.
It's incredible how much difference using a homemade spice mix can make to the flavor of your dish. And you know exactly what's in it, and you can create your own unique taste by varying the proportions.
So what are you waiting for? Get started with this simple recipe and enjoy the delicious taste of homemade shawarma.
Want to make the tastiest shawarma yourself? Discover our secret spice recipe!
When I ate shawarma for the first time, I was immediately a fan. The delicious meat was seasoned so well. Shawarma doesn't need much more. Initially, I sometimes bought ready-made shawarma, but that wasn't the real thing. So I started experimenting with making shoarma spices myself.
After collecting all the necessary spices and mixing them, I first tried it on chicken. After marinating the chicken, I roasted it in the oven. The smell that filled my kitchen was so unbelievably good, and the taste was so good. I knew right away that I would be making this myself from now on.
And if, like me, you love shawarma (or Donner kebab), then I advise you to make it yourself. It's easy, fun, and so tasty! And who knows, you might discover your own unique mix, which you can share with your friends and family.
What do you need for a Homemade Shawarma Seasoning Recipe?
To prepare this Shawarma Spice Mix Recipe, you require the following ingredients. You can find the correct amounts in the recipe card at the bottom of the blog:
- Cinnamon: a sweet woody flavor with a hint of lemon.
- Turmeric: Mild, spicy, and slightly bitter. It can be compared to pepper and mustard, but is a bit softer.
- Garlic powder: Has a spicy and slightly spicy garlic taste.
- Cumin: Sweet, warming, and has a nutty undertone.
- Coriander: Light citrus taste, a little sweet, and a spicy undertone.
- Dried parsley: Fresh, slightly bitter taste.
- Paprika powder: Has a spicy taste and adds umami to the spice mix.
- Chili powder: Adds a spicy and spicy taste to the shawarma spice mix.
- Ginger powder: A strong lemony, slightly spicy taste.
- Onion Powder: Has a sweet onion flavor.
How to prepare Shoarma Spice Mix
You can find a printable recipe with a detailed description at the bottom of this blog.
- Measure out the spices and mix them. Store in an airtight container or jar until use.
You use this shawarma spice mix, for example, with a shawarma casserole or shawarma wraps. And Donner Kebab is also delicious with homemade Shawarma spices.
This mix is delicious, but below I have some ideas to experiment with:
- Sumac: a spice that has a citrusy, fresh taste.
- Paprika powder: use smoked paprika powder for a smoky flavor.
- Mint: For a fresh accent.
- Spicy? Add some chili flakes.
It's a spice mix that is used to flavor shawarma meat. Usually, the mixture contains the following ingredients: garlic powder, cumin, paprika, coriander, oregano (or parsley), salt, and black pepper.
Yes, that is possible. This recipe is an example of that. And if you want to adjust it to your own taste, experiment with proportions or extra ingredients.
Yes, these shawarma herbs are not only suitable for shawarma. You can also use them for Donner kebabs, grilled vegetables, flavored meatballs, or flavored potatoes. It's super versatile!
Did you make this recipe? Tag #byandreajanssen via Instagram. I enjoy seeing what your creation looks like. Video recipes can be found on my YouTube channel. And don't forget to save the recipes on Pinterest so you can easily find them next time!
SUBSCRIBE for more videos of By Andrea Janssen:https://www.youtube.com/c/ByAndréaJanssen
Shawarma Spice Mix Recipe
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 3 teaspoons paprika powder
- ¼ teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
Ingredients you need per step are listed below the step in Italic
- Add all the spices and mix well.1 tablespoon ground cinnamon, 1 teaspoon ground turmeric, 1 teaspoon garlic powder, 1 ½ teaspoon ground cumin, 1 teaspoon ground coriander, 1 tablespoon dried parsley, 3 teaspoons paprika powder, ¼ teaspoon chili powder, ½ teaspoon salt, ½ teaspoon ground black pepper, 1 teaspoon ground ginger, ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- Spoon the herbs into an airtight (glass) jar and store them in a cool, dark place (but not in the fridge).
- Room temperature: Store in a cool, dark place (for example, in a kitchen cupboard) in an airtight (glass) jar. Ensure it is airtight to preserve the flavor and quality of the spices. In this way, this shawarma spice mix can be kept for up to 6 months.
Leave a Reply