Egg salad without mayo is a delicious and versatile spread you can easily make at home. It's a great option for a party snack spread, quick lunch, or a picnic. Homemade egg salad is also healthier and tastier than store-bought versions.
In this blog, I will explain how to make a homemade egg salad from scratch. And how you can make your own egg salad without mayonnaise, with tips and tricks. This egg salad will become everyone's favorite at your next party!
Creamy and Delicious Egg Salad Without Mayo
Did you know that egg salad is one of the most searched recipes on Google? This classic salad is super popular (and you can find many variations).
Egg salad is, therefore, super versatile. Delicious as a salad on toast at your next party, as a spread for brunch, or in a wrap for lunch. And this variant is made without mayonnaise; it's an egg salad with Greek yogurt and sour cream. That makes the salad creamy and fresh without the yogurt becoming too predominant.
A Mayonnaise-Free Lunchtime Treat!
And have you always wanted to learn how to make a delicious egg salad without mayonnaise? With these simple and quick steps, you can enjoy a delicious egg salad that everyone will love in just a few minutes! So grab this recipe and start making a delicious egg salad today!
And are you looking for other excellent snacks to serve besides a delicious egg salad sandwich for lunch, brunch, or a party snack? Here you will find a page full of the tastiest snacks. Like this chicken curry sandwich, a leek cream cheese dip (a la Dutch Heksenkaas), or tuna salad wrap snacks.
What do you need for Creamy Egg Salad?
To prepare this Egg Salad without Mayo, you need the following ingredients. You can find the correct amounts in the recipe card at the bottom of the blog:
- Eggs - Hard-boiled and shelled. And this blog describes how to prepare hard-boiled eggs, which always work.
- Sour cream - This is a thick, lightly soured cream. It gives a full flavor.
- Turmeric - Is mild, spicy, and slightly bitter. It can be compared to pepper and mustard, but tastes somewhat softer.
- Shallot - Adds extra flavor to the egg salad. A shallot has a bit more spice compared to a regular onion.
- Plain Greek yogurt - This creamy yogurt is nice and thick and fresh in taste.
- Ginger syrup - adds a sweet flavor to dishes and is delicious in this egg salad. It is a bit softer and more precious compared to fresh ginger.
- Curry powder - is a mixture of various spices. It is spicy, savory, and aromatic.
- Parsley - Gives a fresh taste to the salad.
How to prepare this No Mayo Egg Salad recipe
You can find a printable recipe with a detailed description at the bottom of this blog.
- Boil the eggs in water until hard-boiled. Immediately shock them under cold water. This way, you can easily peel them. Peel the eggs.
- Place the hard-boiled eggs in a bowl and mash them with a fork.
- Put the sour cream, turmeric, finely chopped shallot, yogurt, ginger syrup, curry, and parsley in the bowl.
- Stir everything well and season with salt and pepper.
Tips, Substitutions, and Variations
- Add a teaspoon of mustard for extra flavor.
- Use fresh herbs that are much tastier. For example, you can flavor the egg salad with herbs such as dill or chives.
- Adding extra ingredients, such as chopped pickles, paprika, or jalapeño pepper, for a nice egg salad twist.
- Greek yogurt - Can be substituted for other yogurts, but the egg salad may become more watery.
- You can also choose to only use Greek yogurt or sour cream.
Did you make this recipe? Tag #byandreajanssen via Instagram. I enjoy seeing what your creation looks like. Video recipes can be found on my YouTube channel. And don't forget to save the recipes on Pinterest so you can easily find them next time!
- 4 eggs size L
- 2 tablespoons Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 3 tablespoons ginger syrup
- ½ teaspoon ground turmeric
- ½ teaspoon curry powder
- ½ shallot finely sliced
- 5 twigs Fresh Parsley chopped finely
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
Ingredients you need per step are listed below the step in Italic
- Boil the eggs in a pan of water over medium heat. Let the eggs cook for about 10 minutes.4 eggs
- Shock them under cold water and let them cool to room temperature.
- Peel the eggs and mash them with a fork.
- Add the sour cream, turmeric, shallot, yogurt, ginger syrup, parsley, and curry powder to the eggs. Season with salt and pepper.2 tablespoons Greek yogurt, 2 tablespoons sour cream, 3 tablespoons ginger syrup, ½ teaspoon ground turmeric, ½ teaspoon curry powder, ½ shallot, 5 twigs Fresh Parsley, ½ teaspoon salt, ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Stir together gently.
- Taste the egg salad and add additional salt and pepper if necessary.
- If you want to garnish the egg salad, sprinkle some chopped parsley on top.
- Store the egg salad in the refrigerator until use.
- Add a teaspoon of mustard for extra flavor.
- Use fresh herbs that are much tastier. You can further flavor the egg salad with herbs such as dill or chives.
- Adding extra ingredients, such as chopped pickles, paprika, or jalapeño pepper, can make the egg salad even more delicious.
- Greek yogurt - Can be substituted for other yogurts, but the egg salad may become more watery
- You can also choose only use Greek yogurt or sour cream.
- Refrigerator: This egg salad can be stored for up to 2 days, covered, in the refrigerator. You can prepare it in advance or you can store leftovers.
- Freezer: You can't freeze egg salad, because the structure will change (and that's not very delicious).