This is my version of the ultimate Strawberry swiss roll cake recipe. An airy biscuit with buttercream and strawberry jam. Formed into a delicious roll, where you can taste all the flavors with every bite you take. It's a super easy recipe, with a delicious strawberry flavor and a gorgeous strawberry cake roll. A perfect cake you can serve anytime!
Easy strawberry cake roll
Tomorrow is Sunday and of course a perfect day to put something sweet on the table. You may have family or some friends over for a visit or want to serve a delicious dessert. This is one of the recipes that I always make: Strawberry Swiss Roll Cake. It can be stored for up to 2 days, so if there's anything leftover, you'll also have such a delicious piece of cake the day after.
You make the strawberry cake roll by making a biscuit from almond flour and flour. Brush the thin cake with a layer of homemade buttercream and strawberry jam. By rolling it up, you get a spiral shape, which is not only very tasty. As a result, you have a delicious piece of cake with strawberry and cream with every bite. A taste explosion of delicacies and a beautiful cake too!
What do you need for a strawberry shortcake roll
To prepare this Strawberry Swiss Roll Cake you need the following ingredients (you can find the correct amounts in the recipe card at the bottom of the blog):
- Eggs - In this recipe you separate the eggs into yolk and white. This will make your biscuit fluffier. Use the eggs at room temperature.
- Almond flour and flour - Finely ground almonds and flour provide a slightly sweet and airy cake roll with a slightly nutty taste. All purpose flour is used in this recipe. Replace the almond flour with an equal amount of all purpose flour for a nut-free recipe.
- Butter - With melted butter you make the biscuit a bit softer in taste. You also use butter for the buttercream.
- Shredded Coconut - Cover the outside of the biscuit with a thin layer of shredded and dried coconut.
- Strawberry Jam - Used for the strawberry filling. Use strawberry jam without chunks. If you want to make the jelly as smooth as possible, heat the strawberry jam and sieve before using it. By using strawberry jam, you can make this cream cake roll even outside the strawberry season. If you want you could also use some fresh strawberries. Wash and hull the strawberries. Slice them in small cubes and scatter them on top of the buttercream topping.
- Confectioner's sugar and sugar - Confectioner's sugar is used in the cake layer. This distributes well and ensures that no sugar grains remain in the batter. You use "regular" sugar to sweeten the buttercream.
- Milk and water - For thinning the cream layer so that it's spreadable.
- Gelatin - Ensures that the cream layer thickens after spreading, so that the layer does not run out when serving the strawberry cake roll.
- Vanilla Extract - For a touch of vanilla flavor in the buttercream. You can also replace this with 1 teaspoon of vanilla sugar.
How to make a Swiss Cake Roll with Strawberries and Cream
A recipe with extensive steps, the right amount of ingredients, and which you can also easily print can be found at the bottom of the blog.
- Beat the egg whites in a clean bowl with a mixer. By first beating the egg whites and then the egg-yellow mixture, you don't have to clean the mixing hooks in between (the other way around is not possible because the yolks contain fat and the egg whites don't become stiff). Then mix the egg yolks with almond flour, flour, butter and confectioner's sugar in a bowl until it is light yellow in color.
- Carefully mix the egg whites into the batter with a spatula, so that it remains as airy as possible.
- Divide the cake batter in an even layer over the rectangle marked on the baking paper as flat and smooth as possible.
- Bake for 7 minutes at 430 °F (220°C). Remove from the oven and place on a clean kitchen towel. Roll up the biscuit tightly and let it cool. Rolling the cake while still warm gives it a bulge and makes it much easier to roll in the end to a strawberry roll cake form. This way you get the perfect roll cake.
- Make the buttercream. Heat the water with the milk in a small sauce pan and mix with the sugar. Dissolve the gelatin. Let cool for 15 minutes. Beat the butter with the vanilla extract for 5 minutes, then slowly add the milk mixture, continuing to beat. If it becomes too liquid, let it stiffen slightly in the fridge for 15 minutes.
- Spread the jam over the cooled biscuit. To spread the jam better, warm it slightly in a pan. If the jam contains pieces, you can sieve the jam after it has been heated.
- Cover the jam with an even layer of buttercream.
- Roll up the cake tightly in parchment paper or a plastic wrap and let it set in the fridge for at least 1 hour. Before serving, cut it with a serrated knife into rolls about 1 inch (2 cm) thick.
Did you make this recipe? Tag #byandreajanssen via Instagram. I enjoy seeing what your creation looks like. Video recipes can be found on my YouTube channel. And don't forget to save the recipes on Pinterest so you can easily find them next time!
Strawberry Swiss Roll Cake
Use the buttons to adjust the number of people.
- 2 eggs size L, seperated in egg yolks and egg whites
- ⅓ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup confectioner's sugar
- 2 teaspoons butter melted
- ½ cup sugar
- ¼ cup water
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1 stick butter room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 430 °F (220 °C).
- Draw on a baking sheet a rectangle of 8 x 10 inches (20 by 25 cm). Put it on a baking plate with the drawing site beneath.
- In a large bowl mix on high speed the egg whites until stiff peaks are formed2 eggs
- Beat the egg yolks with the almond flour, flour, melted butter, and confectioner's sugar in a bowl until light yellow in color.⅓ cup almond flour, ⅓ cup all-purpose flour, ½ cup confectioner's sugar, 2 teaspoons butter
- Gently mix with a spatula ⅓ of egg white until it's incorporated into the egg yolk batter.
- Then stir in the rest of the egg white gently and carefully.
- Spread the batter with an offset spatula on the prepared pan among the colored rectangle (it will be a thin cake) and bake for 7 minutes in the oven.
- Lay a tea towel in front of you and top with baking paper. Spread 2 tablespoons of shredded coconut on top.2 tablespoons coconut
- Lay the cake on the baking paper and roll everything up tightly.
- Unroll and cut off the edges (about ½ inch/1 cm). Discard those pieces.
- Heat the water with the milk and dissolve the sugar in it.¼ cup water, 1 tablespoon milk, ½ cup sugar
- When the milk is hot turn off the heat and dissolve the gelatin into the milk mixture.⅓ teaspoon gelatin powder
- Let it cool for 15 minutes.
- Beat the butter and vanilla extract with an electric mixer at medium speed very airy in about 5 minutes.1 stick butter, 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Slowly add the milk mixture, while mixing, until well blended and very airy.
- Smear the jam over the cake.4 tablespoons strawberry jam
- Then spread the cream on top with an offset spatula.
- Place the cake on top of a baking paper and roll up tightly.
- Let stiffen for 1 hour in the refrigerator.
- Cut into rolls (about ¾-1 inches / 1.5 - 2 cm).
- Refrigerator - You can store the strawberry swiss roll cake in a closed container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- Don't - The cake rolls cannot be frozen because of the filling.