This chocolate zucchini cake is one of the best chocolate cakes I’ve tasted, and it tastes like chocolate. The crumb is tender and moist. And you don’t even need a mixer. A bowl and a spatula are just enough. This cake is full of chocolate chunks and will blow your mind!
Chocolate Zucchini Cake
Why do you want to put a vegetable like zucchini in your chocolate cake? You might wonder that yourself, but after tasting this incredibly delicious, moist cake, you know exactly why.
The zucchini is the secret ingredient that ensures this cake is moist and silky. You don’t even notice it’s in there; besides, you’ve got one of the best chocolate cakes on your plate.
And the little chocolate drops melt in your mouth, so delicious. This chocolate cake is super moist and indulgent; you’ll be going to love this!
What do you need for a Chocolate Zucchini Pound Cake?
To prepare this Chocolate Zucchini Cake, you need the following ingredients. You can find the correct amounts in the recipe card at the bottom of the blog. Make sure to use all ingredients at room temperature for the best results!
- Flour - Use all-purpose flour for this pound cake.
- Sugar - The sweetener in this cake.
- Cocoa - Regular cocoa powder works just fine here (unsweetened).
- Baking soda and baking powder - Ensures that the chocolate zucchini cake rises and becomes airy.
- Salt - Salt balances the flavor.
- Cinnamon - This spice has a sweet woody flavor, with a hint of lemon. It’s a great food combined with chocolate. It’s possible to substitute cinnamon with espresso powder.
- Eggs - Provide binding and a full taste. Use eggs-sized L.
- Sunflower oil - Instead of butter, sunflower oil is used. When using oil in a cake, it becomes moist (and not dry).
- Zucchini - This green vegetable doesn’t add much flavor to the cake, but will add moisture and a bit of texture. That’s why this cake is such a great addition.
- Chocolate - chocolate is undoubtedly essential in this dish, so it’s advisable to choose good chocolate. Buy chocolate with at least 70% cocoa content and not cheap chocolate because it contains too much oil.
How to prepare Dark Chocolate Cake with Zucchini?
You can find a printable recipe with a step-by-step description at the bottom of this blog.
- Grate the zucchini in a large bowl.
- Mix flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon in a big bowl with a spatula or wooden spoon. Add the eggs and oil and fold them into the batter.
- Add the grated zucchini and chocolate chunks and mix them with a spoon into the batter.
- Pour everything into a cake tin and bake for 60 minutes in a preheated oven at 350 °F (180 °C). Then, let it cool to room temperature.
Serve - This cake is great; served warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream and a dollop of whipped cream.
Variations - Add some chopped walnuts (about ¼ cup) or other nuts for a bit of a bite.
Did you make this recipe? Tag #byandreajanssen via Instagram. I enjoy seeing what your creation looks like. Video recipes can be found on my YouTube channel. And don't forget to save the recipes on Pinterest so you can easily find them next time!
SUBSCRIBE for more videos of By Andrea Janssen:https://www.youtube.com/c/ByAndréaJanssen
Chocolate Zucchini Cake
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 2¾ tablespoons Dutch unprocessed cocoa unsweetend
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 4 eggs size L
- 1 cup sunflower oil
Ingredients you need per step are listed below the step in Italic
- Preheat the oven to 350 °F or 320 °F
- Grate the zucchini finely in a bowl.1 zucchini
- Grease the cake tin with oil.
- Mix flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon in a large bowl.2 cups all-purpose flour, 2 cups sugar, 2¾ tablespoons Dutch unprocessed cocoa, 2 teaspoons baking soda, 1 teaspoon baking powder, ½ teaspoon salt, 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Add the eggs and the oil and mix well with a spatula.4 eggs, 1 cup sunflower oil
- Fold the chocolate and the zucchini through the batter.5⅔ oz. dark chocolate
- Pour the batter into the cake tin.
- Bake for 50 to 60 minutes in the preheated oven until the cake pen (or skewer comes out clean.
- Room temperature - Wrap the cake tightly and store it for up to two days at room temperature.
- Freezer - Store the chocolate zucchini cake in two wraps of plastic foil in the fridge. This way, you can keep it up to two months.
Leave a Reply