A creamy Peperkoek cake that you can prepare to bake in the oven in five minutes. Only 6 ingredients. Very tasty and easy!
I have been making this recipe for many years now: Peperkoek cake aka Dutch sweet gingerbread cake. A recipe that the whole family loves. And I also think it's a nice and simple recipe to prepare.
It is super easy to make and it is also quickly ready to bake in the oven. But also the wonderful scent that flows throughout the house when you have baked this cake is unbelievably delicious. Highly recommended to bake this peperkoek, gingerbread cake!
📖 Variations and substitutes
This recipe is really delicious, but if you want to adjust the recipe to your taste or replace an ingredient with something from your pantry, then I have some nice suggestions here.
- Instead of wholemeal flour and baking powder, you can also use self-raising flour (2 cups / 250 grams)
- Add currants or raisins and walnuts for even more flavor.
- If you want to have a vegan recipe, replace the egg with 1 mashed banana.
💭 Top tips
- By lining the cake tin with baking paper it will become easier to release the cake after baking.
- After baking, let the cake stand for five minutes before removing it from the baking tin. As a result, it shrinks slightly, so the cake will comes out off the baking tin better.
- You check whether a cake is done by sticking a skewer in the thickest part (often the middle). If the skewer comes out dry, the cake is done.
- If you use a Convectional oven, you bake the cake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit (180 degrees Celsius). With conventional oven t you keep 390 degrees Fahrenheit (200 degrees Celsius).
- If you want a soft top, put baking paper on the cake, covering the batter while baking.
A good preparation makes the job a lot easier. And when you're in a hurry this steps can be done in advance.
- Weigh all ingredients and prepare everything. That way, everything is at hand when you get started.
- Instead of using 1 tablespoon of syrup, use 2 tablespoons of syrup and 250 grams of normal sugar.
- Instead of whole wheat flour and baking powder, use 250 grams of self-raising flour.
🥘 Other delicious recipes
If you like this recipe you probably like these to:
- Mawa cake, a delicious Indian sweet cake recipe
- Easy banana bread, a delicious and simple recipe
- Whole wheat muffins with goji berries and raisins
- Chocolate zucchini cake, really delicious, you should try this recipe for sure!
Peperkoek cake, a Dutch sweet gingerbread cake
- 1 egg large
- 1 tablespoon cane sugar syrup
- 1 cup water water
- 1 tablespoon ground gingerbread spices
- 2 cups whole-wheat flour
- 1¾ teaspoons baking powder
- Measure all the ingredients.
- Preheat oven to moderate 350°F(180°C/gas mark 4) and line a 12“x5“ (30 cm x 12 cm) baking tin with parchment paper.
Bake your cake
- Put the egg, syrup, water, spices and brown sugar in a bowl. Whisk until everything is dissolved.
- Add the whole-wheat flour and the baking powder into the bowl and mix all the ingredients with a wooden spoon until the flour is wet. It doesn’t matter if there are some lumps left.
- Pour into the baking tin and bake in a preheated moderate 350°F/180°C/gas mark 4 oven for 70 minutes.
- To check if the sweet bread is done, stick a wooden skewer or toothpick into the middle. If it comes out clean the sweet bread is ready.
- Take the cake out of the oven, allow to cool in the pan for 5 minutes
- After the 5 minutes take the cake out of the pan and let the cake cool down to room temperature before serving.