Making your own Dutch ontbijtkoek, a sweet gingerbread is a really easy recipe. Only 6 ingredients that you mix-within five minutes and then bake in the oven. This moist gingerbread, of Dutch origin, with whole wheat flour, is light and delicious. The best recipe out there for sweet quick bread!
II have been making this recipe for many years now: Dutch Gingerbread spice bread. It's a breakfast cake that my whole family loves, and I’m sure yours too. A real Winter delicacy, which your taste buds will love.
There are many types of Dutch Peperkoek (you can also find them on my blog), with or without filling (they can contain candied fruit, nuts, and dried fruits) and with their own blend of spices (every part got its own local recipe). Some are topped with pearl sugar. But all got a sweet taste and a dark brown coloration.
Many varieties of this sweet bread
It's a sweet bread you can find in all parts of the country with different names, and also it's a traditional baked cake of Flemish parts of Belgium.
You can find peperkoek in parts of the Netherlands called kruidkoek, ontbijtkoek, in the city of Deventer it's called the Deventer koek, in the north of the Netherlands called kroninger cook. There are a lot of varieties of ontbijtkoek, and you can compare it to America's traditional sweet bread called banana bread.
It is super easy to make and ready to bake in the oven in just a few minutes. And the wonderful smell that can be smelled throughout the house when you bake this cake with the gingerbread spices is also incredibly delicious.
Highly recommend the gingerbread (spice bread)! Smear a thick layer of butter on a slice and enjoy this spice cake!
Ingredients easy Peperkoek recipe
A full list of ingredients to bake this Dutch Ontbijtkoek recipe can be found at the end of this blog.
Which flour do you use in this sweet bread?
This recipe uses whole-wheat flour. Instead of whole-wheat flour and baking powder, you can also use self-rising flour (2 cups / 250 grams) or all-purpose flour with baking powder (both in the same amount as in this recipe). You will then no longer have whole grain gingerbread, but the recipe is even easier.
Preparation oven baked Dutch gingerbread spice bread
You can find a recipe that you can easily print at the bottom of this blog.
This recipe will only take 5 minutes of your time (and 70 minutes additional baking time), so we can tell it's an easy recipe. Take one bowl and prepare your batter (with a whisk, no mixer needed). Pour it into a loaf tin and bake in the oven until deep brown (and done). Let it cool down and serve!
- Baking your cake - Bake the cake 70 minutes at 350 °F (180 °C) in a conventional oven. If you use a convectional oven, decrease the temperature to 320 °F (160 °C).
- Caketin / loafpan - The recipe calls for a loaf pan of 10 inches / 25 cm. If you're using a bigger / smaller tin you can easily add the sizes of the tin into the recipe card (bottom of the blog) and it will calculate the right amount of ingredients you need for your tin.
- Check if your cake is done - You can check if your cake is done by pricking a wooden skewer at the end of the baking time into the thickest part of the cake. When you get the skewer out and it is dry, the cake is done.
Yes, they are exactly the same. In the south of the Netherlands, the name peperkoek is used for this sweet bread, in the rest of the country ontbijtkoek is common.
Did you make this recipe? Tag #byandreajanssen via Instagram. I enjoy seeing what your creation looks like. Video recipes can be found on my YouTube channel. And don't forget to save the recipes on Pinterest so you can easily find them next time!
Ontbijtkoek (Peperkoek) (Dutch Gingerbread Spice Bread)
Pas met de knoppen het aantal personen aan.
- 1 egg large
- 1 tablespoon sugar syrup
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon ground gingerbread spices
- 1¼ cups brown sugar
- 2 cups whole-wheat flour
- 1¾ teaspoons baking powder
Bake your cake
- Preheat oven to moderate 350 °F(180 °C/gas mark 4) and line a loaf pan with parchment paper.
- Put the egg, syrup, water, spices, and brown sugar in a bowl. Whisk until everything is dissolved.1 egg, 1 tablespoon sugar syrup, 1 cup water, 1 tablespoon ground gingerbread spices, 1¼ cups brown sugar
- Add the whole-wheat flour and the baking powder into the bowl and mix all the ingredients until the flour is wet. It doesn’t matter if there are some lumps left.2 cups whole-wheat flour, 1¾ teaspoons baking powder
- Pour into the baking tin and bake in the oven for 70 minutes.
- To check if the sweet bread is done, stick a wooden skewer or toothpick into the middle. If it comes out clean, the sweet bread is ready.
- Take the cake out of the oven, allow cooling in the tin for 5 minutes
- After 5 minutes, take the cake out of the pan and let the cake cool down on a wire rack to room temperature before serving.
3. Dark Brown sugar - Dark brown caster sugar gets its specific color and taste due to the added molasses. You can optionally use light brown sugar, but the color and taste will be different. 4. Egg - Use an egg size L, or two eggs size S. If you want a vegan gingerbread, you can make the recipe without egg and replace it with one mashed banana. 5. Oven temperature -
A conventional oven is used. When using a convection oven (with air fan) decrease the temperature with 30 °F (320 °F) / 20 °C (160 °C) 6. Soft top - If you want a soft top, place baking paper on the cake, so that you cover the batter. 7. Also delicious -
- Add currants, raisins and/or walnuts for even more flavor (2 oz. (50 grams) of dried fruit / 1 oz. (25 grams) of finely chopped nuts).
- 2 oz. (50 grams) of finely chopped chocolate.
8. Nutritional value
The loaf can be cut into 10 slices. The nutritional value is shown per slice.