Do you remember them, a Dutch Waffle, the way Grandma used to bake them? Deliciously crispy on the outside and soft on the inside. Deliciously crispy on the outside and soft on the inside. Still nice and warm from the iron, sprinkle with some powdered sugar. Really so tasty! And with this recipe, you can make 10 delicious crispy waffles, quickly and easily! The best Waffles recipe I know.
Dutch Waffle Recipe
The very first waffles are described in the 13th century when the Greeks baked dough between two metal plates. These waffles are savory and flavored with cheese and herbs.
The waffle was first made by the cook of the Prince of Liège in the middle of the 17th century. This cook wanted to make a delicious brioche with pieces of pearl sugar and this is the famous Liège waffles or Belgian waffles After that, the fame of the waffle took off and waffle irons were used to bake this delicacy. And you can still buy them from street vendors at the weekly markets in villages.
Originally, waffles contain yeast to make them airy. But a batter with yeast takes much more time to prepare. This recipe, in which baking powder is used instead of yeast, ensures that the waffle cookie is wonderfully airy with a delicious taste.
What do you need to make Waffles without yeast
To prepare these delicious waffles you need the following ingredients (you can find the correct amounts in the recipe card at the bottom of the blog):
How do you use vanilla?
Vanilla extract is used in this recipe. You can easily get this in the supermarket, but you can also easily make your own vanilla extract. The latter is, especially if you bake regularly, much cheaper.
If you don't have vanilla extract, you can also replace it with 2 teaspoons of vanilla sugar.
What makes the waffles fluffy?
This recipe is, as described, without yeast. But how do you get a light waffle? By adding a generous amount (1 tablespoon) of baking powder to the batter. Due to the moisture in the batter, air bubbles are formed during baking. And they ensure that the waffle is airy, crispy on the outside, and soft on the inside.
Self-raising flour contains about half of the baking powder that is added to this batter. If you use that, add a teaspoon of extra baking powder. You cannot replace it with baking soda. Although this is often used to make a batter or dough airy, it is not suitable for this batter because it needs an acidic ingredient to form air bubbles.
How to make soft, airy waffles
A recipe with extensive steps, the right amount of ingredients, and which you can also easily print can be found at the bottom of the blog.
Mix the batter quickly in a large bowl by first mixing the dry ingredients quickly and then mixing in the wet ingredients at low speed until you've got a smooth waffle batter without lumps. Brush the plates of the waffle iron with oil (or use cooking spray). Put a small tablespoon of batter in the preheated waffle iron and close the waffle iron. Bake until the waffle a couple of minutes until it is golden brown, in my case 7 minutes. Remove from the grid and continue with the rest of the batter.
- How much batter - That depends on your waffle machine. It is often in the description. If you are not sure, iron the waffle the first time so that it is well filled. That way you know roughly what you will need. After that you don't have to spread the batter anymore. By closing the device, the batter flows between the holes.
- Baking Time - My waffle iron took 7 minutes to get the waffle a nice golden brown, but every appliance is different. Normally it will be between five and eight minutes. Checking a few times the first time will give you a good clue.
- Help - I don't have a waffle iron - But do you have a sandwich maker. That also works. Yes, you don't have that pretty pattern, but you do have a delicious waffle. Bake until the Dutch Waffles are golden brown.
- Why do you add oil - By adding oil (or melted butter), you ensure that you get soft wafers. Without this addition, regular waffles become hard.
- Why do you add milk - Due to the moisture in the milk, the waffle stays creamy and moist (and it doesn't dry out). You can also replace it with soy milk, oat milk or almond milk.
Did you make this recipe? Tag #byandreajanssen via Instagram. I enjoy seeing what your creation looks like. Video recipes can be found on my YouTube channel. And don't forget to save the recipes on Pinterest so you can easily find them next time!
Pas met de knoppen het aantal personen aan.
- 3 ⅓ cup flour , all purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ⅛ teaspoon Salt
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 eggs size M
- 1 ⅔ cup milk
- 6 tablespoons sunflower oil or 6 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons sunflower oil or baking spray for greasing
- Take a large mixing bowl and combine flour, baking powder, a pinch of salt, and sugar in it and mix well with a fork.3 ⅓ cup flour, 1 tablespoon baking powder, ⅛ teaspoon Salt, 2 tablespoons sugar
- While stirring with a whisk or mixer on low, add the eggs, milk, oil, and vanilla extract. Mix until you have a smooth batter.2 eggs, 1 ⅔ cup milk, 6 tablespoons sunflower oil, 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat your waffle iron until hot and brush with oil.2 tablespoons sunflower oil
- Pour the batter into each waffle plate
- (see tips for measuring the right amount you need).
- Close the waffle maker and bake the waffles at medium heat until golden brown. That will be on average between 5 and 8 minutes. Check-in between the first time so you know how long they have to bake.
- Remove them from the grid and collect them on a plate. Bake the rest of the waffles.
- Storing the batter - The batter cannot be kept due to the addition of baking powder. Bake the waffles and then save them!
- Room temperature - Store them in an airtight container or plastic wrap. They keep well at room temperature for up to two days.
- Refrigeration - Because it is more humid in the refrigerator, the structure of the waffles changes and this is not tasty. So don't keep them in the fridge.
- Freezer - Pack the waffles airtight in a freezer box or bag. This way they stay good for up to 2 months. Let them thaw at room temperature.