A recipe for traditional eggnog. Creamy, airy, and rich in taste. That's a perfect description for eggnog. A drink that is made and consumed at Christmas abroad. I can totally imagine why.
Curious, that's the right word. I have been curious for a couple of years now. Do you know why? I see large amounts of eggnog recipes come by in the Christmas period. Therefore, I made Dutch spicy eggnog made from advocaat (a typical Dutch drink). But this time I went for real. I'm going to make traditional eggnog.
After a long search on the net, I found out through Wikipedia that it used to be a cocktail of egg, milk, and brandy. Nowadays the brandy is often replaced with dark rum or bourbon. Now, that sounds good.
And for extra creaminess, some heavy cream is added. And spices like cinnamon, vanilla, and nutmeg. But every region and family has its own recipe. I finally made this eggnog to my own taste and I was very pleased with the flavor.
We also are going to drink eggnog this Christmas!
Did you make this recipe? Tag #byandreajanssen via Instagram. I really enjoy seeing what your creation looks like. Video recipes can be found on my YouTube channel. And don't forget to save the recipes on Pinterest so you can easily find them next time!
Pas met de knoppen het aantal personen aan.
- 3 cups milk whole
- ¾ cup sugar
- 1 stick cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 6 eggs size L, separated
- 2 cups cream
- ½ cup bourbon
- ½ cup rum dark
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- Bring the milk with the sugar, vanilla bean, and vanilla to a boil, while stirring, and turn the heat off.
- Let stand for 30 minutes so that the sugar dissolves and the vanilla and cinnamon flavor the milk.
- Then let it cool even further in the refrigerator until it is very cold.
- Beat the egg yolks in a bowl until thick, pale yellow, and airy.
- Pour the milk, 1½ cup (375 ml) cream, bourbon, and rum with the egg yolks and beat everything well.
- Whisk the egg whites until stiff and fold the egg whites into the egg yolk mixture.
- Also, mix the remaining cream until stiff and fold with a spatula through the eggnog.
- Store at least one night in the refrigerator so it gets even more flavor.
- Just before serving, mix everything well.
- Grate some nutmeg and sprinkle on top.