A recipe for a traditional eggnog. Creamy, airy and rich in taste. That's a perfect description for a eggnog. A drink that is made and consumed at Christmas abroad. I can totally imagine why.
Curious, that's the right word. I have been curious for a couple of years now. Do you know why? I see large amounts of eggnog recipes come by in the Christmas period. Therefore, I made a Dutch spicy eggnog made from advocaat (a typical Dutch drink). But this time I went for real. I'm going to make a traditional eggnog.
After a long search on the net, I found out through wikipedia that it used to be a cocktail of egg, milk and brandy. Nowadays the brandy is often replaced with dark rum or bourbon. Now, that sounds good.
And for extra creaminess some heavy cream is added. And spices like cinnamon, vanilla and nutmeg. But every region and family has its own recipe. I finally made this eggnog to my own taste and I was very pleased with the flavor.
We also are going to drink eggnog this Christmas!
It's a good taste!
- 750 ml milk whole
- 150 grams sugar
- 1 stick cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 6 eggs size L, separated
- 500 ml cream
- 125 ml bourbon
- 125 ml rum dark
- Bring the milk with the sugar, vanilla bean and vanilla to the boil, while stirring, and turn the heat off.
- Let stand for 30 minutes so that the sugar dissolves and the vanilla and cinnamon flavors the milk.
- Then let it cool even further in the refrigerator until it is very cold.
- Beat the egg yolks in a bowl until thick, pale yellow and airy.
- Pour the milk, 375 ml cream, bourbon and rum with the egg yolks and beat everything well.
- Whisk the egg whites until stiff and fold the egg whites into the egg yolk mixture.
- Also mix the remaining cream until stiff and fold with a spatula through the eggnog.
- Store at least one night in the refrigerator so it gets even more flavor.
- Just before serving, mix everything well.
- Grate some nutmeg and sprinkle on top.
What did I use to prepare this
Kitchen utensils I’ve used to prepare this recipe. When you follow the link you will go to another page with a short explanation of each item. It’s also possible to order directly if you’re in need.