This delicious creamy Dutch boerenkoolstamppot (aka kale hotchpot) with bacon crispy baked in hoisin sauce, with coconut milk and curry paste has all the spices for a delicious flavor palate. Highly recommended!
"Fried onions ??? In a kale hotchpot. Mom, you can't be serious. This is truly one of the strangest combinations that you've made so far." Thus the conversation was started by the eldest when I came to the table with this dish. That did not start well.
Luckily my kids often try the food, even though they really have their preferences. And to their surprise, this Asian boerenkoolstamppot with bacon was very tasty, especially with the fried crispy onions which were on top.
They thought it was even tastier than the normal kale stew with sausage.
And they even admitted it. One zero for the mums and so there you have it: fried onions with boerenkoolstamppot is a good combination.
Did you make this recipe? Tag #byandreajanssen via Instagram. I enjoy seeing what your creation looks like. Video recipes can be found on my YouTube channel. And don't forget to save the recipes on Pinterest so you can easily find them next time!
Dutch boerenkoolstamppot with bacon
Use the buttons to adjust the number of people.
- 2½ pounds potatoes floury
- 7 oz bacon
- 1 clove garlic sliced thinly
- Peel the potatoes and cook together with the red curry paste in a layer of water until done in about 20 minutes.2½ pounds potatoes, 1 tablespoon red curry paste
- Mix the bacon with the hoisin sauce and fry the bacon in about 5 minutes until crispy.7 oz bacon, 2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a frying pan and add the garlic.1 tablespoon oil, 1 clove garlic
- Stir-fry for 30 seconds, then add the kale.1 pound kale
- Stir-fry the mixture for 2 minutes, then add 100 ml water and cook the kale slowly until done in about 5-10 minutes. Look regularly that there is enough water otherwise the kale will burn (add some water if necessary)
- Drain the potatoes, pour in the coconut milk, and mash finely.⅓ cup coconut milk
- Mix the bacon and kale through the potatoes.
- Sprinkle the fried onions on top of the hotchpot and serve with some sweet soy sauce (if desired).fried onions