Cauliflower bacon gratin: the creamy cauliflower combined with the salty bacon and cheese. A delicious and savory combination.
The recipe is originally from the book 'Around my French Table' by Dorie Greenspan and slightly adapted by me. And it was delicious. This recipe we will definitely make more often!
- Check the doneness of the cauliflower by stabbing carefully with a fork. The fork should easily go in and out. If that is not the case, then the cauliflower hasn't cooked enough. Even though a time is given in the recipe, make sure you always check yourself, because given times are guidelines!
- After adding the cream to the baking dish move it back and forth so you make sure the sauce gets between all the cauliflower.
- After 25 minutes, check your casserole. If it is not brown enough, then put it under the grill. Don't bake any longer, otherwise you over cook the cauliflower.
Earlier in the day or the night before:
- Cuts floret of the cauliflower, put them in a pan and cover with a layer of water. Store in the refrigerator until use.
- Fry the bacon and keep it on a paper towel in a bowl in the refrigerator until use.
- Grate the cheese and store in the refrigerator until use.
It's a good taste!
Recipe Cauliflower bacon
Did you make this cauliflower bacon gratin? Tag #byandreajanssen via Instagram or twitter . I love it when you make one of my recipes and I’m looking forward to look it up. You can also share your recipes on my Facebook channel or pin this recipe on Pinterestso you can find it easy next time. See you soon!
SUBSCRIBE for more videos of By Andrea Janssen:https://www.youtube.com/c/ByAndréaJanssen
Cauliflower bacon gratin
- 1 cauliflower washed and cut into florets
- 150 grams bacon cut into strips
- 45 grams flour
- 5 eggs size L, lightly beaten
- 200 ml cream
- 250 ml milk full
- 75 grams cheese grated, full of flavor such as Gruyere or Emmentaler)
- salt and pepper to taste
- nutmeg to taste
Ingredients you need per step are listed below the step in Italic
- Preheat the oven to 220 degrees Celsius.
- Bring a pot of water to the boil.
- Cook the cauliflower for 10 minutes in the boiling water until it is al dente (check that by poking it in with a fork, it should be able to poke well).
- Meanwhile, bake the bacon in a dry frying pan until it is nicely light brown.
- Drain the cauliflower in a colander and let it drain well.
- Butter an oven dish of 20 x 30 cm.
- Spread the cauliflower florets over the bottom.
- On top of that you put the bacon.
- In a bowl, mix the cream with the flour. Beat well until it is nicely thick and has almost no lumps.
- Then add the eggs one by one while you keep stirring.
- Finally, pour the milk and ⅔ of the grated cheese and mix well.
- Season with a pinch of salt, pepper and nutmeg.
- Pour this batter over the cauliflower and distribute as well as possible.
- Sprinkle with the rest of the grated cheese.
- Slide the dish into the oven and take 25 minutes. Keep an eye on it from time to time, when it gets too brown, put an aluminum foil on top to prevent burning.