This easy but delicious recipe for Vanilla Cake with Chocolate Sprinkles is a winner. It's a Dutch recipe, is buttery soft and has a crispy crust and delicious chocolate flavors. This is SO delicious! And you only need six ingredients!
Vanilla Cake with Chocolate Sprinkles
Chocolate sprinkles, called Hagelslag in the Netherlands, is a typical Dutch product that you eat with a delicious smear of good butter on a slice of bread.
It's one of the most popular bread sprinkles, and we have many flavors. Dark chocolate, milk chocolate, white chocolate, and kwinkslag mean everything is mixed.
This is an old-fashioned Dutch cake (when we didn't have chocolate chips in the supermarket) and just like my grandmother used to make it. I've fond memories of eating this when visiting her in her apartment on Sunday mornings. And now I'm going to share my old-time favorite with you!
What do you need for Chocolate Sprinkles Cake?
To prepare this Vanilla Cake with Chocolate Sprinkles, you need the following ingredients. You can find the correct amounts in the recipe card at the bottom of the blog:
- Butter - Use unsalted butter.
- Sugar - For sweetening the cake. Regular sugar is fine.
- Self-raising flour - This is flour to which baking powder has been added. This will make the chocolate sprinkles cake airy and rise in the tin. But if you don't have self-raising flour? Then replace it with 1 ⅔ cup of flour and ¾ teaspoon of baking powder.
- Vanilla Extract - For a touch of vanilla. You could substitute it with the marrow of one vanilla pod or two teaspoons of vanilla sugar.
- Eggs - Makes the cake richer in taste and provides binding.
- Chocolate Sprinkles - The filling. Milk, pure, white, or kwinkslag (mixed), just what you like best.
How to prepare Dutch Hagelslag Cake?
You can find a printable recipe with a step-by-step description at the bottom of this blog.
- Melt the butter in a pan and let it cool slightly (don't let it brown, just melt). Next, mix the sugar with the eggs and vanilla on high speed for 3 minutes. Next, turn the mixer to low and add the self-raising flour. Once incorporated, pour the melted butter into the bowl. When everything is just mixed, turn off your mixer.
- Shake the sprinkles on the batter and mix gently with a spatula (this keeps it airy).
- Pour the batter into the cake tin and bake for 70 minutes at 350 °F (180 °C). Check whether the cake is done by inserting a skewer into the thickest part. If it comes out dry, the cake is done.
- Let the cake stand at room temperature for 5 minutes after baking, and only then remove it from the pan. The hagelslag cake shrinks as it cools, making it easier to release from the mold. Remove from the mold and allow cooling further on the cake rack.
Did you make this recipe? Tag #byandreajanssen via Instagram. I enjoy seeing what your creation looks like. Video recipes can be found on my YouTube channel. And don't forget to save the recipes on Pinterest so you can easily find them next time!
SUBSCRIBE for more videos of By Andrea Janssen:https://www.youtube.com/c/ByAndréaJanssen
Vanilla Cake with Chocolate Sprinkles
- 1¾ stick butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 eggs size L
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⅔ cup self-rising flour
- ⅓ cup chocolate sprinkles
Ingredients you need per step are listed below the step in Italic
- Preheat the oven to 350 °F (180 °C)
- Grease a cake tin with butter and dust with flour. Beat the excess flour off.
- Melt the butter over low heat and allow it to cool slightly1¾ stick butter
- Mix the sugar with the eggs and vanilla extract and mix on high speed for 3 minutes.1 cup sugar, 4 eggs, 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Turn the mixer to low speed and mix the flour through.1⅔ cup self-rising flour
- Finally, mix in the melted butter.
- Sprinkle the chocolate sprinkles above the batter and mix with a spatula through.⅓ cup chocolate sprinkles
- Pour the batter into the cake tin and put it in the oven.
- Bake for 70 minutes until the cake is done.
- Let rest for 5 minutes and then loosen the cake from the tin.
- Let cool on a wire rack.
- Room Temperature - Store in a sealed box for up to 2 days.
- Freezer - Let the vanilla cake with chocolate sprinkles cool completely and wrap well in plastic wrap (two layers) or in a freezer box. You can keep it in the freezer for up to two months.
So fun, festive and delicious!! I'm going to make another cake for some friends.
I know, I make this cake quite often!