Date, apple and walnut combined in an easy and healthy cake. Serve it with a cup of tea or coffee when it comes out of the oven.
It look like it's going to be winter after all. It seemed almost like spring today. I don't get the weather this year. Last year I thought the winter would never end and this year it won't start. At least until Friday. And when it becomes cold, this cake is terrific. You can eat it when it's warm, just baked in the oven or when it's cold with a nice hot cup of coffee or tea.
- Layer a stripe of baking paper horizontal in the cake tin, so that the edges stick just out of the tin. This way the cake is easy to lift out of the tin.
- Check if the cake is done by prick with a skewer in the middle of the cake. When it comes out dry the cake is ready.
- Use 125 gram self-rising flour instead of plain flour and baking powder.
- Use pecans instead of walnuts.
- You can substitute the apple with pear if you like.
- For more winter flavor add 2 teaspoons of gingerbread spices.
- Serve the cake with some vanilla ice cream
- This cake can be stored wrapped in plastic up to 2 days at room temperature.
- Don't store this cake in the refrigerator. Because of the humidity in the refrigerator the structure of the cake will change and won't be as delicious.
- Cake can be frozen when you first wrap it in aluminium foil and then in plastic foil. It stays fresh up to 3 months in the freezer.
Other delicious cake recipes
Did you make this recipe? Tag #byandreajanssen via Instagram. I love it when you make one of my recipes and I’m looking forward to seeing it. Video recipes can be found on my YouTube channel. Don't forget to save my recipes on Pinterest so you can find them easily next time. See you soon!
Date, apple and walnut cake
- cake tin 15 cm
- 110 grams butter unsalted, roomtemperature
- 110 grams brown sugar
- 2 eggs size L
- 110 grams flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 100 grams walnuts peeled
- 50 grams dates
- 1 apple
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- Brush the cake tin with butter.
- Chop the dates and walnuts in small bits.
- Grate the apple (with skin).
- Add the sugar with butter in a bowl and mix until it's fluffy.
- Add the eggs, one by one, and mix until the eggs are incorporated.
- Sieve the flour and baking powder above the batter and whisk the batter until the flour and baking powder are just mixed in.
- Add the walnuts, dates and apples and use a spatula to whisk them through the batter.
- Pour the batter in the cake tin and bake for 1 hour.
- Punch a skewer in the middle of the cake and when it comes out dry the cake is done (otherwise bake for another 5 minutes and check again).
- Leave the cake 5 minutes at room temperature in the tin and then take it out of the tin and let it cool down on a rack..