Date, apple and walnut combined in an easy and healthy cake. Serve it with a cup of tea or coffee when it comes out of the oven.
It looks like it's going to be winter after all. It seemed almost like spring today. I don't get the weather this year. Last year I thought the winter would never end and this year it won't start. At least until Friday. And when it becomes cold, this cake is terrific. You can eat it when it's warm, just baked in the oven or when it's cold with a nice hot cup of coffee or tea.
- Layer a stripe of baking paper horizontal in the cake tin, so that the edges stick just out of the tin. This way the cake is easy to lift out of the tin.
- Check if the cake is done by prick with a skewer in the middle of the cake. When it comes out dry the cake is ready.
- Use 125 gram self-rising flour instead of plain flour and baking powder.
- Use pecans instead of walnuts.
- You can substitute the apple with pear if you like.
- For more winter flavor add 2 teaspoons of gingerbread spices.
- Serve the cake with some vanilla ice cream
Did you make this recipe? Tag #byandreajanssen via Instagram. I enjoy seeing what your creation looks like. Video recipes can be found on my YouTube channel. And don't forget to save the recipes on Pinterest so you can easily find them next time!
Watch How to Make It
SUBSCRIBE for more videos of By Andrea Janssen:https://www.youtube.com/c/ByAndréaJanssen
Date, apple and walnut cake
- Loaf pan 6 inches / 15 cm
- 1 stick butter unsalted, roomtemperature
- ½ cup dark brown sugar
- 2 eggs size L
- 1 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup walnuts peeled, chopped finely
- ⅓ cup dates pit removed, chopped finely
- 1 apple grated finely
Ingredients you need per step are listed below the step in Italic
- Preheat the oven to 350 °F (180 °C).
- Brush the cake tin with butter and dust with flour. Tap the excess flour out of the tin.
- Add the sugar with butter in a bowl and mix until it's fluffy.1 stick butter, ½ cup dark brown sugar
- Add the eggs, one by one, and mix until the eggs are incorporated.2 eggs
- Sieve the flour and baking powder above the batter and whisk the batter until the flour and baking powder are just mixed in.1 cup flour, 1 teaspoon baking powder
- Add the walnuts, dates and apples and use a spatula to whisk them through the batter.1 cup walnuts, ⅓ cup dates, 1 apple
- Pour the batter in the cake tin and bake for 1 hour.
- Prick a skewer in the middle of the cake and when it comes out dry the cake is done (otherwise bake for another 5 minutes and check again).
- Leave the cake 5 minutes at room temperature in the tin and then take the loaf out of the tin and let it cool down on a rack.
- Use 1 cup of self-rising flour (125 grams) instead of flour and baking powder.
- Use pecans instead of walnuts.
- This cake is also delicious with pear instead of apple.
- Room temperature - You can store this cake wrapped in plastic at room temperature for up to 2 days.
- Refrigerator - Do not store the cake in the refrigerator, because the moisture in the refrigerator will change the structure of the cake and make it less tasty.
- Freezer - The cake can be frozen by first wrapping it in aluminum foil and then in plastic wrap. It can be kept in the freezer for up to 3 months.
The nutritional value shown is per slice of cake.