Crispy chicken and cucumber rolled in slightly sweet sushi rice. You can eat a whole plate of it.
We like to eat sushi from the Japanese restaurant in our city. And my youngest son’s favorite is the Kentucky sushi roll. Crispy chicken fillet with cucumber rolled in slightly sweet sushi rice. A kind of chicken nugget, but with real chicken and panko. Just a bit more taste and super crispy.
But now the case is that it is no longer on the map. That isn’t a great thing when that is precisely the sushi that you like the most. Then there is only one solution: we make it ourselves.
Making Sushi yourself is
What do you need to prepare sushi? Off course sushi rice, rice vinegar and nori. And a rolling mat is very important. And if you can get chopsticks are really nice.
I cut the chicken into strips and breaded with panko and then fried in sunflower oil. First peeled the cucumber and then cut into strips. That is easier to process in the sushi because you still work lengthwise.
It’s a good taste!
Recipe Kentucky sushi
Kentucky sushi roll
- 250 grams sushi rice
- 350 ml water
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 2 chicken fillets
- 4 tablespoons flour more if necessary
- 1 egg beaten
- 4 tablespoons panko more if necessary
- 150 ml sunflower oil
Preparation of sushi
- 1/2 cucumber
- 2 nori sheets
- 1 portion sushi rice
- 1 portion crispy chicken
- soy sauce optional
- pickled ginger optional
- wasabi optional
- Put the rice in a pan.
- Pour in the water and bring to the boil.
- Lower the heat and put the lid on the pan. Let simmer for 10 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and let stand for 15 minutes.
- Stir the sugar and rice vinegar into the sushi.
- Allow to cool to room temperature.
- Cut the chicken fillets into vertical strips.
- Prepare three bowls. Fill the first with flour, the second with the egg and the last with the panko.
- Take a piece of chicken fillet and put it first through the flour, then through the egg and finally through the panko.
- Repeat for all chicken pieces.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan and quickly fry the chicken until brown and crispy (if you have a deep fryer you can of course also use that).
- Drain the chicken on kitchen paper and then cool to room temperature.
Preparation of sushi
- Peel the cucumber and halve it (vertical).
- Scrape out the seeds with the back of a spoon.
- Cut the cucumber into long strips.
- Put a bamboo mat in front of you.
- Put a sheet of nori on top.
- Spread the sushi rice over the nori. Stay a little off the side (see the video, about 1 cm top and bottom) and don't press the rice too hard.
- Place a row of crispy chicken at about 1/4 of the top.
- Put a row of cucumbers next to it.
- Roll the mat from top to bottom, so that you close the nori into a roll. In the video you can clearly see how you do that.
- Press the nori firmly before removing the mat.
- Put your sushi roll on the cutting board and cut the roll in half with a very sharp knife.
- Halve the roll again and cut the each roll in half. That way you end with 8 pieces.
- Repeat for the second nori sheet.
- You can eat the sushi right away or you roll it in plastic foil and keep it in the refrigerator (up to 1 day) until you serve it.
- Delicious with soy sauce, pickled ginger and wasabi.
This post is also available in: Dutch