Flemish stew, which is served at cafetaria in Belgium is a traditional stew. The meat, prepared in beer, melts on your tongue. Serve this with fries!
Slowly baking in the oven, delicious smells in the kitchen. Tender meat stewed in beer that melts on your tongue. A delicious taste combined with salty fries. I understand why Flemish stew with fries is so tasty. At my house the last bit was scraped off the pan. Approved!
It's a good taste!
Recipe Flemish stew with beer and French
Did you make this Flemish stew with beer and French fries? Tag #byandreajanssen via Instagram or twitter . I love it when you make one of my recipes and I’m looking forward to look it up. You can also share your recipes on my Facebook channel or pin this recipe on Pinterestso you can find it easy next time. See you soon!
Flemish stew with beer and French fries
- 750 gram chuck roast
- 3 tablespoons mustard
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 50 gram butter
- 2 onions sliced in rings
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 330 ml dark beer
- 150 ml beef stock
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 sprigs sprigs thyme
- 1.2 kg potatoes
- Preheat the oven to 140 degrees Celsius.
- Cut the chuck roast into cubes 2 x 2 cm.
- Put it in a bowl and spoon the mustard and the flour on top.
- Stir together well.
- Put an ovenproof Dutch oven on the stove over low heat and melt the butter.
- Fry the meat on all sides brown and remove it with a slotted spoon.
- Add the chopped onion to the pan juices and cook until translucent, about 3 minutes.
- Then add the garlic and stir-fry for a minute.
- Pour the beer, stock and the vinegar and bring to a boil.
- Allow 2 minutes soft boil.
- Put the meat back into the pan and top it with the bay leaf and thyme.
- Put the lid on the pan and put it in the oven.
- Allow the meat to stew for three hours.
- Remove the lid and stir well.
- Leave the lid of the pan (so the sauce thickens) and put it back into the oven for an hour. Check in between it it ain't thicken to much. Otherwise put the lid back on the pan.
- Meanwhile, peel the potatoes and cut into thick fries.
- Preheat deep fryer to 160 degrees Celsius and bake the potato for 5 minutes.
- Remove the fries from the pan, drain well.
- Just before serving you fry the fries at 180 degrees Celsius until you they are golden.
- Serve the stew with French fries and a delicious salad.
- Bake the roast, onions and garlic in a frying pan until brown. Put the meat with veggies in the slowcooker. Add the other ingredients and turn the slowcooker on low heat for 6-8 hours.
What did I use to prepare this
Kitchen utensils I’ve used to prepare this recipe. When you follow the link you will go to another page with a short explanation of each item. It’s also possible to order directly if you’re in need.
- a good pair of knives
- cutting board
- Brushes, spatulas and other cooking utensils