Crockpot Mongolian Beef, tender beef coated with a sweet, savory sauce and vegetables. A popular takeaway Chinese recipe in America. You usually make it in the wok, but it's even simpler to make it in the slow cooker!
Crockpot Mongolian Beef
The title of this recipe made you think: Mongolian beef, what's that? Yes, I looked it up too. Mongolian beef is a specialty of Chinese takeout in America. Like in the Netherlands, Babi Pangang, Bami Goreng, and Dutch Foe Yong Hai (Egg Foo Young) are available at every Chinese restaurant.
So I thought it would be a good idea to try it. And I loved it. Usually, I would prepare it in the wok, but I took the crockpot because I only had a little free time in the evening. By stewing in the slow cooker, you get very tender meat, a nice sweet sauce (not spicy), and vegetables with a bite (and I chose carrots).
Even though the name suggests this is a recipe from Mongolia, that is not true. Mongolian BBQ was very popular in Taiwan in the last century. Because this recipe is very similar to this cooking style, it has become Mongolian beef. So from Taiwan.
What do you need for this Easy Slow Cooker Mongolian Beef?
To prepare this Crockpot Mongolian beef recipe, you need the following ingredients. You can find the correct amounts in the recipe card at the bottom of the blog:
- Chuck roast - Chuck roast is used in this recipe. But you can also use a round roast (top or bottom) or tri-tip roast for this Mongolian beef.
- Sunflower oil - For frying the meat.
- Soy sauce - Use Japanese or light soy sauce (available at the Asian supermarket). These are salty soy sauces.
- Carrots - Cooking the carrot in the slow cooker makes it wonderfully soft on the inside, but still has a bite.
- Flour - To thicken the sauce slightly. By dusting the meat with the flour and then lightly frying it, you will lose the raw flour taste and will not get any lumps in the sauce.
- Garlic - Adds flavor to the sauce and meat.
- Brown sugar - to sweeten the sauce. Brown sugar is also used because it gives a caramelized flavor to the sauce.
- Sesame Oil - Dark brown roasted sesame oil with an intense sesame flavor.
- Sweet Chili Sauce - is a slightly spicy bright orange sweet and sour sauce. Made from chili pepper, sugar, vinegar, and other seasonings.
- Ginger powder - a strong, lemony, slightly spicy taste.
How to prepare Slow-Cooked Mongolian Beef
You can find a printable recipe with a step-by-step description at the bottom of this blog.
- Cut the beef into thin strips or small cubes. Put them in a bag and add the flour and shake well so that all the meat pieces are coated with flour. Put the oil in the pan and stir-fry the garlic for 30 seconds. Add the meat and fry the beef until it is golden brown. Place in the slow cooker.
- Scrape the carrot and cut it into small cubes, place it in the slow cooker, and pour the soy sauce.
- Add the sesame oil, chili sauce, and water. Add the ginger.
- Stir well and turn the slow cooker low for 6 to 8 hours.
This is delicious with rice and cucumber salad. Or as part of an Asian Buffet with Bami Goreng, Tsukune Japanese Chicken Meatballs and Sambal Goreng Telur (Indonesian Spicy Eggs).
- Instead of (or with) carrot, you can add broccoli florets.
- If you want more spice, add extra chili pepper.
- You can also use chicken breast instead of beef.
Did you make this recipe? Tag #byandreajanssen via Instagram. I enjoy seeing what your creation looks like. Video recipes can be found on my YouTube channel. And don't forget to save the recipes on Pinterest so you can easily find them next time!
Watch How to Make It
SUBSCRIBE for more videos of By Andrea Janssen:https://www.youtube.com/c/ByAndréaJanssen
Crockpot Mongolian Beef
- 1¼ pound chuck roast
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sunflower oil
- 2 cloves garlic finely chopped or squeezed
- ⅔ cup light soy sauce
- ½ cup dark brown sugar
- 3 carrots peeled and sliced into small cubes
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons sweet chili sauce
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ cup water
Ingredients you need per step are listed below the step in Italic
- Cut the beef into thin strips or small cubes.1¼ pound chuck roast
- Put the meat in a bag, add the flour, and keep the bag closed. Then shake up and down well, so the meat is coated with flour.2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- Put some oil in the pan and stir-fry the garlic for thirty seconds. Then add the meat and fry until brown.2 tablespoons sunflower oil, 2 cloves garlic
- Place the meat in the slow cooker.
- Add and pour in the rest of the ingredients and mix well.⅔ cup light soy sauce, ½ cup dark brown sugar, 3 carrots, 1 tablespoon sesame oil, 2 tablespoons sweet chili sauce, 1 teaspoon ground ginger, ½ cup water
- Set the slow cooker to low and cook for 6 to 8 hours.
- Refrigerator - This recipe will keep covered in the fridge for three days.
- Freezer - Store in a freezer box and bag for up to 3 months.
- Reheating - Add two tablespoons of water and heat until the meat is warm.
Leave a Reply