Fresh sweet and sour cucumber salad with garlic and pepper. A delicious accompaniment to any barbecue. Lactose and gluten-free.
Cucumbers and bbq are a match. Finely sliced (for years a favorite with the kids) or served as a homemade tzatziki and very occasionally as a spicy cucumber salad. Because I love it (but the children do love it a bit less) when the cucumber is marinated in a mixture of vinegar and sugar.
Leave for at least one night in the marinade otherwise, you will not get optimal flavor. And definitely get the seeds out. A salad of cucumber becomes way too wet if you let them in. You scrape them with the back of your spoon from the cucumber.
Have you noticed that cucumbers on holiday can look very different (and very different flavors) from the ones we buy in the Netherlands. They are often thick and small and have a very hard shell with bubbles. They look like oversized pickles and also got a slightly stronger flavor.
But when I looked further I became aware that there are several types of cucumbers in a foreign supermarket (at least the one I go to) and when I walked into the grocery store, I finally came along a tray with Hollandés (eg Dutch cucumbers) cucumbers. Just the kind that we know.
If you can't find them in your supermarket at your vacation address, you can also use that other cucumber too! Though they are a bit stronger in taste, they are delicious. Especially in this salad!
Recipe cucumber salad with garlic and pepper
Did you make this cucumber salad with garlic and pepper? Tag #byandreajanssen via Instagram or twitter . I love it when you make one of my recipes and I’m looking forward to look it up. You can also share your recipes on my Facebook channel or pin this recipe on Pinterestso you can find it easy next time. See you soon!
- 1 cucumber
- 2 garlic
- ½ red chili pepper deseeded
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- pinch salt
- 2 tablespoons sherry vinegar
Ingredients you need per step are listed below the step in Italic
- Peel the cucumber and cut it in half lengthwise.
- Scrape with the back of a spoon the seeds out of the cucumber.
- Halve again, so you have quarters and cut each part in lengths of about 2 cm.
- Put the cucumbers in a bowl.
- Remove the skin from the garlic, halve and remove the green part of the garlic.
- Mince the garlic and add with the cucumber.
- Cut the pepper into thin strips and add them to the cucumber.
- Mix sugar, salt and vinegar to get a marinade and add it to the cucumber.
- Stir well and put the cucumber (covered with plastic) in the refrigerator.
- Let marinate for at least 8 hours (overnight)