A delicious Swiss roll based on a sponge cake. Wonderfully airy. And it's an easy-to-make recipe.
As a sweet snack with the high tea deluxe, I opted for a Swiss roll, which you cut into beautiful slices and serve to your guests.
This time I pimped it with golden gothic curls and a Purple cake color. And chunks of golden whipped cream. But feel free to vary. For example, you can first spread a delicious layer of jam on the cake and then add the whipped cream.
Or add cocoa to your cake batter and make a delicious variety. You can go so many ways with this basic recipe.
Is the Swiss roll indeed a recipe from Switzerland? Nobody really knows. But it's a fact that many countries have their own variant. Because the Swiss roll is a very popular cake. That won't be a surprise when you know that with this basic recipe you can vary endlessly in color, appearance and taste. In any case, it could not be missed at our High Tea de Luxe
High Tea deLuxe
And so we have already arrived at the last recipe of the High Tea deluxe. The week went so fast. Of course tomorrow the wrap-up with a time schedule will be online and I'll link that here tomorrow. And after this High Tea violence, we continue with the following project: American-style BBQ. You certainly don't want to miss that either.
Did you make this recipe? Tag #byandreajanssen via Instagram. I enjoy seeing what your creation looks like. Video recipes can be found on my YouTube channel. And don't forget to save the recipes on Pinterest so you can easily find them next time!
SUBSCRIBE for more videos of By Andrea Janssen:https://www.youtube.com/c/ByAndréaJanssen
Swiss roll cake
- Piping bag tip 2
- 180 ml cream
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 5 eggs egg yolk and egg white separated
- ⅝ teaspoon tartaric acid
- 150 grams sugar
- pinch salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 ½ teaspoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 60 ml whipped cream
- 180 grams flour
- golden dye optional
- whipped cream optional
- purple and red dye optional
Ingredients you need per step are listed below the step in Italic
- Beat the cream with the icing sugar and vanilla until stiff peaks are formed.
- Store in the refrigerator until use.
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- Make a meringe by mixing the egg whites with the tartaric acid and a pinch of salt until it is frothy.
- Little by little add half (75 grams) of sugar and mix until it is stiff.
- In a second bowl, mix the egg yolk with the rest of the sugar until it becomes light yellow.
- In the second bowl, add the vanilla extract, lemon juice, melted butter and whipped cream and mix until completely mixed.
Golden curls (optional)
- Draw beautiful curls (or other patterns) on a 25 x 37.5 cm baking paper and turn the baking paper over and place it on a baking tray of the same size (optional)
- In a small bowl, mix 3 tablespoons of the egg yolk mixture with 6 tablespoons of the meringue mixture and a few drops of golden dye and fold with a spatula until everything is mixed.
- Fill a piping bag with point 2 with this mixture.
- Pipe the decorative curls as you have drawn them on the baking paper with a small nozzle.
- Bake for 5 minutes until the curls are firm.
- Add purple and red dye to the egg white batter. (optional)
- Carefully fold the egg white mixture through the egg yolk. Start with ⅓ of the mixture so that it can get used to each other and then add the rest of the egg whites.
- When the baking tray comes out of the oven after 5 minutes (if you use a second pattern), carefully pour the rest of the batter onto the baking paper. Carefully smooth out the batter. If you make a smooth cake without patterns then you can omit this step.
- Bake the cake for 10 minutes or until a skewer comes out dry. (or 15 minutes when you make an even cake).
- Remove the cake from the oven and roll it up. This way it gets used to the round shape and does not break when you fill it.
- Allow the cake to cool, roll it gently open and fill with the cream. Then roll the cake again and let it set in the fridge for at least 2 hours
- Optional: Decorate with stars / crowns and golden whipped cream tufts.