This bread is delicious with a barbecue or buffet. It is airy and topped with tomato, herbs and cheese. The crispy outside of the bread, the airy interior combined with the topping of sweet tomatoes, salty cheese and Italian seasoning is really a must!
Today the last recipe of the Italian buffet and tomorrow follows the wrap-up. Of course you can find all the links back to the recipes in the wrap-up, but also a helpful time table for the preparation of various dishes. That way, the party becomes really festive and you're rested and relaxed when it starts.
Today a delicious focaccia that is topped with tomatoes, Italian herbs and cheese. This delicious focaccia topping gives a lot of flavor and the kids loved it and called it a pizza bread. Young and old favored it, and I baked it a lot of times since this buffet.
If you want to bake this, then I have got a few tips for you:
- You can prepare the dough in the bread machine, choose the dough program with the first rise. If you don't have a bread machine then you can also use a mixer with dough hooks. Just make sure that in that case the water you are going to add is lukewarm. Yeast works best between 30 and 37 degrees Celsius. Because you add the water warm the yeast is starting to work right away. In the bread machine this process is automated.
- Making the focaccia by kneading with your hands is possible, but the dough is rather sticky, so that won't be easy. Opt for a mixer or bread machine if you got one.
- To bring the yeast further ahead, add a small spoonful of sugar. The yeast breaks down the sugar and gives airiness to the dough.
- Knead the dough at least 10, but even more preferably 15 minutes, to allow the gluten to develop properly. This makes the bread soft and fluffy instead of hard and chewy bread when the gluten are not sufficiently developed.
- Don't add the cheese until you are baking for the last five minutes, so that it only melts and doesn't burn. The bread is baked at a very high temperature and the cheese will become very hard and brown when it is add immediately with the rest of the topping. Bake the focaccia, therefore, take it out, sprinkle with the cheese and let it melt a bit.
1 week in advance
This bread can be prepared on forehand and in than baked. Bake 15 minutes (without cheese) and freeze it (in a freezer bag).
day of the buffet
Remove the bread from the freezer (no defrost is necessary) and bake 10 minutes at 240 degrees Celsius in the preheated oven. Sprinkle with the cheese and let it melt a bit.
Recipe Focaccia with tomato, Italian herbs and Parmesan
Focaccia with tomato, Italian herbs and Parmesan
- 500 grams flour
- 7 grams dry yeast
- 9 grams salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 300 ml lukewarm water approximately 37 degrees
- 30 ml olive oil
- 2 tomato roma tomatoes are delicious
- 2 tablespoons Italian herbs such as thyme, rosemary, oregano, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic squeezed
- 3 tablespoons olive oil extra vierge
- 30 grams Parmesan cheese
- Put the yeast together with the sugar and the water in a small bowl and mix well.
- Let stand for 5 minutes. During this time you get bubbles on the surface. If there are no bubbles, then your yeast is no longer good and it is better to use a new bag / package.
- Put the flour in the bowl and add the yeast mixture and the olive oil.
- Knead with the mixer for 5 minutes and then sprinkle the salt on it.
- Mix another 10 minutes until the dough is smooth.
- Grease a bowl with some oil and put the dough in it.
- Turn the dough once and first cover the bowl with a slightly damp tea towel over which you put plastic foil.
- Place the bowl in a warm place and let the dough rise for an hour.
- Preheat the oven to 220 degrees
- Place a baking paper on the baking sheet.
- Finely chop the Italian herbs for the topping and mix them with the olive oil and garlic.
- Season with sea salt and pepper.
- Wash the tomatoes and cut into thin slices.
- Lightly knead the dough.
- Place the dough on a baking sheet and press it into the desired shape (about 1.5 cm thick).
- Push with your fingers holes in the Focaccia (not completely through the dough, just enough until you get a slight bowl).
- Spread the tomato slices on top of the Focaccia.
- Sprinkle the bread with the herbal oil.
- Bake the bread for 10 minutes in the oven, remove it and sprinkle with the Parmesan cheese. Then bake for another 5 to 10 minutes until the Focaccia is golden brown.