Zalmcocktail, a Classic Dutch Salmon Cocktail with Whiskey Sauce, is an old-fashioned tasty starter. With flavorful salmon, creamy whiskey sauce, and a fresh caper, this elegant recipe will dress up your dinner party. And you can make this easy recipe in just a few steps. Enjoy this delicious dish.
Salmon Cocktail with homemade Whisky Sauce
We used to have a salmon cocktail at least once during the holidays. With homemade whiskey sauce. Something we only ate during the holidays. And we were looking forward to it. Every year again.
The iceberg lettuce crispy and fresh at the bottom. The red salmon (because red salmon is the tastiest), plain or mixed with capers or finely chopped gherkins and creamy whiskey sauce. The sauce was made in the afternoon and had plenty of time to develop its flavor. Add an egg, and you're done. And to make it all festive, the glass was decorated with parsley. Delicious!
Dutch Salmon Salad Cocktail
But I still like to alternate it with this nostalgic starter. I'm going to make a salmon cocktail again this holiday season. And you?
Did you make this recipe? Tag #byandreajanssen via Instagram. I enjoy seeing what your creation looks like. Video recipes can be found on my YouTube channel. And don't forget to save the recipes on Pinterest so you can easily find them next time!
- 1 egg white beaten
- 2 tablespoons Fresh Parsley finely chopped
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- ½ tablespoon tomato ketchup
- ½ tablespoon whiskey
- 4 tablespoons heavy cream whipped to a yogurt consistency
- 15 ounces red salmon canned
- 2 teaspoons capers finely chopped
- 1 cup iceberg lettuce finely chopped
- 1 hard-boiled eggs in four wedges
- ⅛ teaspoon paprika powder garnish
Ingredients you need per step are listed below the step in Italic
- Dip the top of the glass in the egg white and then in the chopped parsley. Let air dry.1 egg white, 2 tablespoons Fresh Parsley
- Make the whiskey sauce by mixing the cream with mayonnaise, ketchup, and whiskey.½ cup mayonnaise, ½ tablespoon tomato ketchup, ½ tablespoon whiskey, 4 tablespoons heavy cream
- Open the cans of salmon, drain, and remove the bones.15 ounces red salmon
- Mix the salmon with the finely chopped capers.2 teaspoons capers
- Place the chopped lettuce at the bottom of the glass and divide the salmon over it.1 cup iceberg lettuce
- Spoon the whiskey sauce over the salmon. Add a quarter of the hard-boiled egg on top. Garnish with paprika powder.1 hard-boiled eggs, ⅛ teaspoon paprika powder
You can mix the salmon with the capers. And the whiskey sauce can also be made in advance (in fact, it even improves the taste).
For the best results, combine the various ingredients just before eating. This way, it is nice and fresh.