Today, a delicious and elegant appetizer: Salmon Carpaccio with honey mustard dressing. The salty smoked salmon, sweet honey, and spicy mustard are flavors that complement each other very well. You can quickly prepare the honey mustard dressing without packages and bags. And with ingredients, you probably already have them at home.
This homemade dressing and smoked salmon make this appetizer so delicious. An additional advantage: it is very easy to make. Everything is on the table within 10 minutes. And this dish is wonderful for a special occasion, such as a nice dinner party, an elegant lunch, Easter or Christmas. A real treat!
Heavenly salmon carpaccio with sweet honey mustard dressing
Looking back at my favorite dinners, I usually quickly think of the tastiest starters (my favorite course). I can enjoy a delicious beef carpaccio or a smoked chicken salad, and with this starter, the salty salmon is combined with the sweet, spicy sauce.
And that makes this recipe. I remember how it tasted the first time I made it: the salty, smoky salmon perfectly combined with the sweet, spicy sauce. This is just tasty! Since that day, I have made it several times, and it continues to be a hit with my family and guests.
So if you're looking for a delicious, easy-to-make entree, this smoked salmon carpaccio with honey mustard dressing is an excellent choice. And I will quickly show you how to make this yourself.
What do you need for Salmon Carpaccio with honey mustard dressing (Carpaccio Di Salmon)?
To prepare this Smoked Salmon Carpaccio, you require the following ingredients. You can find the correct amounts in the recipe card at the bottom of the blog:
- Smoked salmon: Use thin slices of cold smoked salmon, for example, Norwegian salmon, real Dutch salmon, or wild salmon.
- Red onion: has a deep red, almost purple skin, slightly thinner than the skin of a regular yellow onion. It is somewhat less sharp in taste and, therefore, delicious to eat raw in a salad.
- Mixed Lettuce: This is a good choice for salads because it is crunchy and stays fresh longer. You can also replace it with arugula, which tastes slightly peppery.
- Honey: Adds a slightly spicy sweetness to the dressing.
- Coarse Mustard: This is a bit darker and gives the dressing a kick. The seeds are coarsely ground with coarse mustard, which provides a nice structure and bite.
- Dill: A soft herb with fine needle-like leaves. It has a slightly sweet lemon and vinegary taste. Use fresh dill, not the dried variety, which can have an aftertaste.
- Capers: these deep green balls are fresh, peppery, and spicy. They are the unopened flower buds of the caper plant.
How to prepare Salmon Carpaccio, an easy starter
You can find a printable recipe with a detailed description at the bottom of this blog.
- Start by making the honey mustard sauce. Mix in a small bowl honey, mustard, and finely chopped dill. Season with salt and pepper.
- Arrange the salmon slices in a single layer, as much as possible, on a plate.
- Divide some mixed lettuce in the middle over the salmon carpaccio.
- Sprinkle with red onion, capers, and small sprigs of dill. Pour the honey dill dressing over the salmon carpaccio and serve immediately.
Tips, Substitutions, and Variations Substitutions
- Also tasty: Asian salmon carpaccio. Make a dressing of soy sauce, rice vinegar, sesame oil, ginger, and garlic. Garnish the carpaccio with spring onions, sesame seeds, and tufts of wasabi.
- Also tasty (2): Mediterranean salmon carpaccio recipe. Garnish the carpaccio with finely chopped tomatoes, capers, and red onion. Make a dressing of olive oil, lemon juice and fresh basil, and fresh parsley.
- Mustard: Instead of coarse mustard, you can also use yellow or Dijon mustard.
- Drizzle extra virgin olive oil on top for extra flavor.
Thinly sliced salmon slices. This can be fresh salmon or smoked salmon. Season the salmon carpaccio with a dressing.
Raw meat and fish can always contain bacteria that can make you sick. Getting fresh salmon from a company you trust is always important. Salmon carpaccio is not safe for pregnant women, children, and the elderly.
Did you make this recipe? Tag #byandreajanssen via Instagram. I enjoy seeing what your creation looks like. Video recipes can be found on my YouTube channel. And don't forget to save the recipes on Pinterest so you can easily find them next time!
SUBSCRIBE for more videos of By Andrea Janssen:https://www.youtube.com/c/ByAndréaJanssen
Smoked Salmon Carpaccio
- ½ oz. dill keep a few sprigs behind (garnish), and finely chop the rest
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon coarse mustard
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- ⅛ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ pound smoked salmon thinly sliced
- 2 cups mixed lettuce
- 1 red onion sliced
- 4 teaspoons capers
Ingredients you need per step are listed below the step in Italic
- In a small bowl, combine dill, honey, mustard, sea salt, and pepper.½ oz. dill, 3 tablespoons honey, 1 tablespoon coarse mustard, ¼ teaspoon sea salt, ⅛ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Divide the smoked salmon over the plates.½ pound smoked salmon
- Put some lettuce in the middle.2 cups mixed lettuce
- Put the red onion, capers, and reserved dill sprigs on top of the salmon.1 red onion, 4 teaspoons capers
- Pour the dressing over the carpaccio and serve.
- Asian salmon carpaccio. Make a dressing of soy sauce, rice vinegar, sesame oil, ginger, and garlic. Garnish the carpaccio with spring onions, sesame seeds, and tufts of wasabi.
- Mediterranean salmon carpaccio. Garnish the carpaccio with finely chopped tomatoes, capers, and red onion. Make a dressing of olive oil, lemon juice, and fresh basil and parsley.
You cannot store salmon carpaccio with honey mustard dressing once you have made it. However, you can divide the salmon, salad, and dressing among the plates in advance (e.g., in the morning, not much earlier). Store covered under plastic wrap in the refrigerator. Mix the ingredients for the dressing and let it stand covered at room temperature. This way, just before serving, you only have to pour the sauce over the salmon carpaccio.
Indication Nutritional Value (Per Person / Portion):
3 x Starters / Entrees
- Parmesan Garlic Bread20 Minutes
- Dutch pasteitje met Garnalenragout (Dutch puff pastry with shrimp gravy)20 Minutes
- Beef carpaccio appetizer10 Minutes