This years entrée: smoked chicken with avocado salad. It's one of the beste starters I know. And an easy and fast recipe. Let me show you!
When I followed a workshop about three years ago at "over de tong" in Boxmeer in the Netherlands I learned this dish and what a superb combination of flavor. We have since eaten this many, many times and I will also serve this for Christmas dinner. It's just too good. The creamy avocado, spicy red onion, flavorful turmeric and curry, smoky chicken and sweet ginger. And combined this is a delight to the taste buds, I can tell you.
Combined with a delicious amuse-bouche
So this year after my amuse-bouche: duck breast with cranberry and arugula, I will serve smoked chicken with avocado salad.
And I can promise you this is going to be satisfying. And of course we end this full Christmas menu at the end of this week with a summary of all recipes and a time schedule! So you can enjoy a carefree Christmas.
Ingredients for this smoked chicken with avocado salad
The next ingredients are needed to prepare this delicious salad:
How to prepare this delicious entrée?
A printable recipe in easy steps can be found on the bottom of this blog.
Step 1: Halve the avocado. Take the pit out with a spoon. Then use the same spoon to scoop the flash out of the skin. Cut the avocado in small cubes. Mix the cubes with some lemon juice to prevent browning.
Peel the onion and cut finely. Mix the onion with the avocado.
Step 2: Mix the yogurt, mayonnaise, ginger syrup, turmeric and curry until you've got a smooth sauce. Then cut the smoked chicken in small cubes and stir them through the sauce.
Step 3: Put some arugula on a plate and place a cooking ring (2.5 inch / 7 cm diameter) on top. Fill the ring with smoked chicken, until it's half filled. Press slightly with the back of a spoon.
Step 4: Fill the ring until the top with the onion avocado mixture and press slightly. Remove the ring and clean, so each salad gets beautiful layers.
💭 Top tips
- Mix the avocado with the lemon juice so it won't brown.
- Cut the ingredients very small. Then you get even more flavor.
- Let the chicken drain from the sauce before adding it to the ring. If the chicken is to wet, the tower will collapse.
- You can make this salad in advance. The smoked chicken with sauce can be made a day in advance and kept in an airtight container in the refrigerator. The avocado onion mixture can be made a few hours before eating. This mixture also has to be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator. By doing so you'll only have to assemble the salad just before serving your starter.
🥘 Other delicious recipes
If you're looking for starters / entrées, these recipes maybe of your interest:
Did you make this recipe? Tag #byandreajanssen via Instagram or twitter . I love it when you make one of my recipes and I’m looking forward to look it up. You can also share your recipes on my Facebook channel or pin this recipe on Pinterest so you can find it easy next time. See you soon!
Smoked chicken with avocado
- 2 avocado's
- 1 lemon
- red onion small
- 300 grams smoked chicken
- 150 ml yogurt
- 150 ml mayonnaise
- 6 tablespoons ginger syrup
- 3 teaspoons turmeric
- 3 teaspoons curry
- Cut in half and remove the pit. Spoon the flesh with a spoon out of the skin.
- Cut the flesh into small cubes.
- Chop the red onion very finely.
- Chop the chicken in small cubes.
Avocado red onion topping
- Combine the avocado with a teaspoon of lemon juice (so the avocado won't discolour).
- Mix the onion with the avocado.
Smoked chicken salad
- Whisk the yogurt, mayonnaise, ginger syrup, turmeric and curry to a smooth sauce. Taste and add some ginger syrup or salt and pepper if necessary.
- Mix the smoked chicken cubes with the sauce.
- Put a little arugula on the plate.
- Grab a cooking ring with a diameter of 2½ inch (7 cm) and place it on top of the arugula.
- Fill about half the ring with the chicken salad. If it is very moist let it drain.
- Fill the rest of the form with the red onion avocado mixture.
- Take the ring carefully of the salad. Make sure that you clean the ring between preparing the plates well so that the layers remain visible. Repeat for all plates.