A fresh homemade Ginger syrup, full of flavor, which is great for preparing lemonade. This is such a delicious drink with simple ingredients that are a bit spicy, zesty, and sweet, especially in warm weather. It’s easy to prepare, and when it is hot outside, it’s the perfect non-alcoholic thirst quencher.
Ginger Syrup for Lemonade
Do you like ginger tea? It’s one of my favorite drinks in winter (and in summer, I often prepare Ginger iced tea). But when I tried this ginger lemonade, it quickly became one of my favorite summer drinks because it’s so refreshing. It’s a great way to cool down.
And this lemonade is prepared with homemade ginger syrup, a fragrant syrup. This simple syrup recipe brings this delicious drink to the next level. Together with freshly juiced lemons, the peppery and sweet ginger is the perfect addition. It’s zesty and warm with a delicious ginger flavor.
And it’s the ideal drink when it’s hot outside. You can prepare it easily and in advance, so when your guests or family is at home, you can enjoy these delicious non-alcoholic drinks.
What do you need for Lemon Ginger Syrup?
To prepare this Ginger syrup for lemonade, you need the following ingredients. You can find the correct amounts in the recipe card at the bottom of the blog:
- Ginger - Use fresh ginger root. You’ll make a syrup by marinating this in some sugar water. If you can’t get your hands on biological ginger, remove the outer skin with a vegetable peeler.
- Sugar - Regular white sugar to prepare a syrup. You could also use brown sugar, which will give an extra caramel flavor to this drink. Or use coconut sugar.
- Lemons - Freshly squeezed lemon juice. Nothing can beat that. Or use fresh lime juice (also excellent)
- Water - You can use plain water to prepare the lemonade. Or take club soda. Soda water will give some sparkles to it.
How to prepare a Simple Ginger Lemonade
You can find a printable recipe with a step-by-step description at the bottom of this blog.
- Put the ginger slices, sugar, and water in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Let it cook for 2 minutes, turn off the heat, and then marinate for at least half an hour. The syrup cools to room temperature.
- Sieve the ginger mixture in a fine-mesh sieve. Discard the ginger pieces.
- Pour syrup into a jar.
- Squeeze the lemons and add them to the jar. Fill the jar with water. Put in the fridge until it’s cold.
Garnish Ginger Lemonade with slices of ginger, lemon zest, and some fresh mint leaves. Add ice cubes to the glass.
Did you make this recipe? Tag #byandreajanssen via Instagram. I enjoy seeing what your creation looks like. Video recipes can be found on my YouTube channel. And don't forget to save the recipes on Pinterest so you can easily find them next time!
SUBSCRIBE for more videos of By Andrea Janssen:https://www.youtube.com/c/ByAndréaJanssen
Ginger Syrup for Lemonade
- 2 oz. fresh ginger organic
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup ginger syrup recipe above
- 1 cup lemon juice about 5 - 8 lemons
- 2 ¼ cup water
Ingredients you need per step are listed below the step in Italic
- Cut the ginger into ¼ inch (½ cm) thick slices.2 oz. fresh ginger
- Put the ginger slices with the sugar and water into a small saucepan and bring to a boil.1 cup sugar, 1 cup water
- Let it cook for 2 minutes on medium-high heat, then turn it off. Let it marinate for 30 minutes or longer for the best flavor. Then, allow cooling to room temperature.
- Put a sieve in a bowl or jar and pour the syrup through the sieve. Discard the pieces of ginger.
- Take a large mason jar and add the ginger juice. Squeeze the lemons until you’ve got 1 cup of lemon juice and add that to the syrup. Mix well and add 2 cups of water.1 cup ginger syrup, 1 cup lemon juice, 2 ¼ cup water
- Let the ginger lemonade cool for at least an hour in the fridge.
- Refrigerator - store ginger lemonade for up to three days in the fridge in a covered jar. You can store ginger syrup for up to five days in the refrigerator.
- Freezer - you can put it in the freezer and store it in an airtight container for up to three months; it will keep good. If you know, you’re going to freeze the lemonade, make the ginger syrup, squeeze the lemons, and freeze those. Let it thaw in the refrigerator, and add the 2 cups of water before serving. This uses less space in your freezer.
Angela P says
What is biological ginger? Fresh ginger?
Hi, I translated that wrong. It's supposed to be organic (Biological is the Dutch word ;-)). I will adapt it! Thank you for noticing!