Rhubarb ice tea, a delicious ice tea for warm days. Tasty and very refreshing.
When it gets hot, I make a fancy ice-cold can of iced tea. Orange iced tea, orange and lemon iced tea or lime rose ice tea with fresh raspberries they all taste delicious and I exchange between them on a regular basis. But now I've discovered a new iced tea: rhubarb ice tea. With the refreshing rhubarb, some white tea and honey it becomes a delicious drink. And a beautiful color, that immediately make me fell in love with it. I always cut some lemon slices in and pick some mint from the herb garden and add it into the iced tea. For even a better summer effect.
Rhubarb a spring
It is a pity that you can only buy rhubarb for such a short time. After the longest day you can't cut any stems anymore from the plant. Then the plant is at rest to build up strength for the new season. I always freeze in, so that I can still make this ice tea. It's a gorgeous thing to grow a rhubarb plant in your garden, because you have very little maintenance and lots of revenue!
These ice tea I made for the kid party of Coen, my youngest son. He turned 8 and we had a real pool party in the garden (one of the two summer days in the preseason) and there was of course a summer drink involved. I made a strawberry lemonade (which I will later post) and the rhubarb iced tea. Coen was very fond of it, and he likes it really a lot (not all the kids at the party thought it was as good as him). And I enjoyed drinking the ice tea with him. It was a very successful party.
- white tea is sweeter and less tangy as black tea of green tea. If you want to prepare this ice tea with another kind of tea, reduce the tea bag to 1.
- add the honey when the ice tea is cooled, because sweetness gets a different flavor in hot and cold drinks.
- when you boil the tea, the alcohol of the vanilla extract will vaporize. If you don't want to use extract, replace it with a vanilla bean. Slice the bean and scrape the seeds and add them to the drink. Also add the vanilla bean. Let it steep for 1 hour.
- Add mint and lemon for even a more refreshing drink
- Add ice when you serve the drink (otherwise the flavor will be diluted)
It's a good taste!
Rhubarb ice tea
Pas met de knoppen het aantal personen aan.
- 2 bags white tea or 2 teaspoons of white tea leaves
- 6 stalks rhubarb
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- honey to taste
- Take 1 liter of water and bring to a boil.
- Turn off the heat and add the two bags of white tea to the water and let them sit for 5 minutes.
- Remove the bags.
- Wash the rhubarb and cut it into pieces of 2 cm.
- Put the rhubarb in the tea and add 750 ml of water and 1 teaspoon vanilla extract.
- Bring the tea to a boil, reduce heat to low, and simmer for 1 hour.Strain the tea and fill up to 1500 ml with water (if necessary).
- Allow to cool.
- Flavor to taste with honey (TIP: test the flavor of the ice tea when it's cold, because the same amount of sweet tastes different in a warm tea and in cold ice tea)