A sweet fluffy omelet with rhubarb compote: whisked until airy and served with a slightly sweet and sour rhubarb compote. A dessert or lunch which only can be eaten in spring (and you don't want to miss it).
Today, the recipe has become a sweet fluffy omelet with rhubarb compote. Why? Because it's a seasonal recipe (the eggs and rhubarb are from my garden). I found this recipe in a book called "Rijntjes keukengeheimen" and adapted it. A delicious lunch dish or dessert, also for children, that looks great through the colorful compote of rhubarb. And it tastes delicious too.
💭 Top tips
- Thickening the compote makes the taste softer.
- By beating the egg yolk and the egg white separately, you get an omelette that is even fluffier than your usual one.
- Replace the potato starch with cornstarch.
- Substitute the butter with margarine and omit the crème fraîche. The recipe will then be lactose free.
- You can also make blueberry compote or apricot compote instead of rhubarb compote.
- Sprinkled with confectioners sugar
- Use store bought rhubarb compote (or you've to grow your own rhubarb, which is quite a beautiful plant which gives you every year a great harvest)
- Use margarine instead of butter
This budget friendly recipe is € 0.60 per person
- Eat the omelette immediately, you can't store it.
- The rhubarb compote can be stored in a clean glass jar in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.
- If you freeze the rhubarb compote after making it, it will keep for up to 3 months
Other delicious fruit dessert
It's a good taste!
Recipe Sweet fluffy omelet with rhubarb
(adapted from: Rijntjes keukengeheimen (Dutch version : Lizet Kruijff and Judith Baehner)
Did you make this sweet fluffy omelette with rhubarb compote? Tag #byandreajanssen via Instagram or twitter . I love it when you make one of my recipes and I’m looking forward to look it up. You can also share your recipes on my Facebook channel or pin this recipe on Pinterestso you can find it easy next time. See you soon!
Sweet fluffy omelette with rhubarb compote
- 350 grams rhubarb
- 50 grams sugar
- 1 cardamom pod
- 100 mL water
- 1 teaspoon potato starch
Sweet fluffy omelet
- 5 eggs size L
- 50 grams butter
- 40 grams sugar
- little crème fraïche
- icing sugar
- Clean the rhubarb and cut into 4 cm pieces.
- Bring water and sugar and the crushed cardamom pod to a boil.
- Add the rhubarb and cook for up to 10-15 minutes until done.
- Put the potato flour in a bowl, pour some cooking water with it and make a paste.
- Add the paste to the rhubarb compote to thicken. Allow to cool to room temperature.
Sweet fluffy omelet
- Separate the eggs.
- Beat the eggs with the sugar until they are pale yellow in color and airy.
- Beat the egg whites with a pinch of salt until stiff.
- Melt the butter in the frying pan.
- With a spatula gently mix the egg whites through the egg yolks and pour the egg into the frying pan. Divide the egg mass on the bottom and turn the heat low.
- Cook the omelette for about 2 minutes and then fold it in half.
- Put aluminum foil over the pan and let it bake for 5 minutes on low heat until done.
- Cut into quarters and place on a plate.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar, a spoonful of crème fraïche and serve with the rhubarb compote.
What did I use to prepare this
Kitchen utensils I’ve used to prepare this recipe. When you follow the link you will go to another page with a short explanation of each item. It’s also possible to order directly if you’re in need.
- a good pair of knives
- cutting board
- Brushes, spatulas and other cooking utensils
- oven dish and roasting pan
- frying pan