The lightly caramelized sweet onions combine wonderfully with the fragrant thyme and creamy pastry. A hot entree, particularly tasteful and just four ingredients.
This onion tart with thyme shines in its simplicity and is delicious. The onion is caramelized and became sweet. The thyme smells great and gives its own flavor. The crispy, yet creamy puff combines wonderfully with these two. And what is especially nice, this dish is simple and easy to prepare. Two things that are very nice when you make an elegant Christmas dinner.
- onions become bitter when they burn, and you certainly do not want that to happen in this dish, caramelise them on low heat for a long time (about 15 minutes).
- Using a cookie cutter, you can make fun shapes out of the pastry that fit excellent with the Christmas theme. I used a cutter of Santa's boots.
- this dish has just four ingredients, so it's important that you use good butter puff pastry. Do not compromise on here! If you have any leftover pastry, make delicious cheese sticks!
Recipe: onion tart with thyme
Did you make this recipe? Tag #byandreajanssen via Instagram. I really enjoy seeing what your creation looks like. Video recipes can be found on my YouTube channel. And don't forget to save the recipes on Pinterest so you can easily find them next time!
Onion tart with thyme
Pas met de knoppen het aantal personen aan.
- Cookie cutter
- 1 red onion
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon thyme dried
- 2 sheets puff pastry
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees Celsius.
- Line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Remove the skin of the red onion and cut it in half.
- Slice the onion into rings.
- Melt the butter over low heat in a pan.
- Add the onion and thyme and caramelise in 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, take a cookie cutter of your choice and push out of each puff pastry sheet 2 cut outs.
- Place the puff pastry cut outs on a baking tray.
- Bake in the oven for 8 minutes.
- Let cool slightly and cut each baked puff pastry with a very sharp knife in half.
- Put a half on a plate top with 1 tablespoon onion mixture and then cover that with the other half of puff pastry.